32. second family

"...JUST WHAT, EXACTLY, WERE YOU THINKING ? WHAT GOES ON INSIDE YOUR MIND ? YOU..."

"My dad's popping off." You comment, taking a bite of the arepa you had been struggling to eat through the tears for the last ten minutes. You weren't upset, tears were just falling naturally, and you let them.

The pressure of having to save your brother had fallen, and you had burst into tears, hugging Jorge and not letting go after you were sure he was completely healed. Your father was the one to make you pull away, furious towards your brother for scaring the shit out of all of you.

"For real." You mother sobs. She, too, had let the pressure fall and had cried for the last ten minutes. Lucía was passed out next to her, she had rested her head on the table and fell asleep in two seconds.

"...DON'T YOU EVER DARE..."

"Here, (Y/n)." Camilo hands you a cup of tea, which you gladly take. You flash him a thankful smile as he gives one to everyone around the table. Isabela was sitting next to you, leaning her head on your shoulder. She didn't like seeing you cry, but you had assured her you were fine.

"...THE STUPIDEST THING..."

Dolores had retreated to her room, your father's scolding being too loud for her. Some of the Madrigals had done the same thing, giving you one last hug before letting Jorge be scolded in some privacy.

Only Julieta, Bruno, Isabela and Camilo were left. Agustín and Luisa had left a bit sooner, to inform the townspeople Jorge was safe. Esteban and Theresa had followed, going home to their parents.

"...BECAUSE WE LOVE YOU, AND THAT'S NO..."

You look at Jorge, who was sending you a pleading gaze. He may have been healed by Julieta, he still didn't have a very pleasant day. This was a bit much.

"...CAN'T BE A FAMILY WITHOUT YOU-"

"Alright dad, that's enough now. The kid almost died." You push him aside, and he immediately stops to go sit next to your mother. He was exhausted too, and maybe you had let him scream a bit too long.

You sit next to Jorge on the couch. He snuggles against you, and you sigh as you wrap a protective arm around him. You stroke his hair as he relaxes in your embrace. Julieta understands the both of you need to be alone, and leads everyone out of the kitchen.

Only your aunt is left, but she's sleeping, so it doesn't matter.

"I'm sorry, (Y/n)." Jorge mutters.

"You can be. You scared me to death, hermano."

"I did the opposite of what you told me to do yesterday."

"I figured."

"It didn't go well."

"I can see that."

You both sigh, disappointed in Jorge's choices in life.

"So what happened exactly ?"

"I'm an idiot, basically. I was really going to hang out with them and do what we talked about, but when I saw them from afar, I don't know... I couldn't do it. And I didn't want Jaime to keep calling me like that either, so I made a stupid decision and went to see what was so cool about that cave."

"Which is nothing."

"Agreed."

"I won't lie, I think this was a really stupid thing to do. But I also think maybe you should stop hanging out with Jaime if he makes you uncomfortable. And I'd say the same for Marta and Samuel."

"It's not that easy."

"Yeah, I know. You're all a group of friends. Just think about it. Maybe hang out with Theresa more ? If that's possible. She was really worried about you."

"Theresa's really nice." He comments. "I wish we talked more, she's very discreet, but I feel like we could be better friends."

"Then do talk to her." You pause for a moment. "You scared us there, everyone's hella tired. I think we should go home to rest."

"Tía didn't wait to go home for that." Jorge laughs at Lucía, who lets out a loud snore in response.

___

"Thank you so much." You hug Isabela tightly while Jorge apologizes to all the Madrigals for the mess he's created. You were about to go home, night was falling. But Isabela doesn't let go of you.

"Stay." She pleads quietly. "You can sleep over."

"Oh, great idea ! Mh !" Dolores intervenes from across the room.

"What idea ?" Camilo, who she just nudged, asks, clueless.

"A sleepover with (Y/n)." His sister answers. "What do you say, (Y/n) ?"

You look at the rainbow that suddenly appeared above Pepa's head as she tried to look unfazed, not wanting to pressure you into choosing to stay.

You look at your parents hugging Jorge tightly to them, and your aunt's eyes never leaving him again. Your mom gives you a smile. Maybe Jorge needed a night were he was the center of attention, without you storming in the living room claiming you were a misunderstood genius.

You look down at Isabela, who still hasn't let go of you.

"Alright."

You bid goodbye to your brother, telling him to enjoy his family treating him like a prince, because it wouldn't last long. Then, you hug your parents and your Tía, and chase them out of the house.

Isabela and Mirabel excitedly take your hands, pulling you to the living room. Everyone sits on the couches or on the comfortable carpets on the floor, even Alma.

You're sat in between Mirabel and Isabela, Bruno in front of you on the floor and a bit confused of what you were about to do. Next to him, Camilo teases him by saying they were about to watch a horror movie.

Which wasn't quite what Pepa picked. She chose a romance movie, not understanding why her brother hid his face in his hands everytime he thought something scary would happen.

While Alma, Augustín, Pepa, Dolores and Isabela were really into the movie (Bruno was too, but for different reasons : he was nervously waiting for the scary parts to come up), Camilo fell asleep at the very beginning and woke up in the middle of it, asking what the movie was about. Antonio, Félix and Luisa played with the five years old's jaguar, while Julieta fell asleep on her husband's shoulder.

You were trying to quietly chat with Mirabel, sometimes getting told off by Isabela who didn't want to miss a word of the movie's dialogue. So you gave up, instead leaning your head on Isabela's shoulder and relaxing in the warmness of the couch.

Isabela takes your hand, distractedly playing with your fingers. Next to you, Mirabel hugs your arm, using it as a pillow to let sleep take over her. Bruno flinches as the lead role takes the love interest in their arms, thinking it was a jump scare.

You felt safe with them. Like the Madrigals were a second family. You couldn't wait to see the future, where all of this would lead.

___
words : 1163

note : so I successfully recovered from COVID :)

went back to school this morning, feel like things are about to get a bit busy for me.

I wanna say thank you for all the views, votes and comments. hope you enjoyed!