17. knock on wood

"We might wanna hurry." Mirabel says as the house shakes, making some of Antonio's animals run away. Bruno starts making a large circle of sand.

"We can't hurry the future. Uh-"

A capybara sits on the way, so he just involves it in the circle.

"You wanna stay for the vision, (Y/n) ?" he proposes.

"If that's okay with you."

"Yeah, yeah. You're nice, kid. But, Mirabel, what if I show you something worse ? If I show you something you don't like, you're gonna be all 'Bruno makes bad things happen, oh, he's creepy and his vision killed my goldfish."

Bruno stops the circle behind you and gently pushes you to the center to sit next to Mirabel. He takes place in front of you.

"I don't think you make bad things happen. Sometimes family weirdos just get a bad rap. You can do this."

You give Mirabel a sad look, knowing how she suffered from her lack of gift.

"Yeah, and I'm sure the goldfish died because the lady didn't take good care of it." You add, and Bruno chuckles. Antonio hands him a stuffed jaguar.

"For the nerves." He nods and heads off on his rat-eating, real jaguar. Bruno looks back at you, unsure of his capacities. It has been long since he last summoned a vision.

"I can do this. I can do this, I can do this, I can do this..." he mumbles to himself, throwing salt over his shoulder.

He lits up a match, using it to set a pile of leaves on fire. You scoff, remembering that one time you, Jorge and Lucía had tried casting a curse on one of her exes by igniting his things in a bowl, in the middle of the living room. Your mom had forbid you to do that again.

Sorry, mom. You think as Bruno opens bright, green eyes. That was so cool.

"Woaw." you mutter. Bruno takes one of you and Mirabel's hands.

"You might wanna hang on."

Mirabel grabs your free hand as energy and sand surrounds you, transporting you in Bruno's vision.

People running. The house cracking. Chaos. And Mirabel, in the middle of it all.

"It's just... It's just the same thing, I gotta stop !"

You stop Bruno from breaking the vision, grabbing his shoulder to calm him down. "We need to understand."

"I have to see how it goes, there's gotta be an answer, something we can't see..." Mirabel continues, looking at the house breaking down.

"You're looking at the same thing that I am ! If there was something else-"

Suddenly, Mirabel turns around, spotting a golden light. "Over there !"

The light intensifies, turning into a butterfly.

"Butterfly ! Follow the butterfly !" Bruno exclaims, bewildered. The butterfly lands on a reed, in a river, dissolving.

"What's this place ?" You wonder, the image flickering and now showing the candle.

"It's, it's the candle ! The candle's getting brighter !" Mirabel's uncle shakes you by your shoulders in excitement, not believing his eyes. You grab his wrist to stop him, motioning him to focus of the vision.

The golden light now shows a figure : Mirabel. She opens her arms towards...

"I think you're gonna help the candle !"

Mirabel's figure walks towards a woman, arms still extended.

"There's someone with you ! And you, you... Fight her !"