08. Isabela's gift

"And...done !" Dolores claps as she finishes applying your eyeshadow. You had spent the last hour trying to convince her not to make you totally unrecognizable.

You knew she liked to get carried away, and if you liked the colorful looks she sometimes pulled out, you wanted to look like a human being tonight. Plus, you knew Dolores herself would go for something discreet, as usual.

"Nice." you look at yourself in the mirror, content with the result. The cream she handed you earlier helped cover your eyebags, and the eyeshadow wasn't too bright nor too dark. You give her a thumb up. "Thank you."

You had convinced her to drop by your house before heading for the Casita Madrigal, to pick up your dress and the gifts you had prepared, but as Dolores entered your room, she had thrown herself on your bed and decided to stay here for a bit.

She ended up doing your makeup in your room, and you changed into the dress she bought you a week ago, during your day off. Now, it was her turn to get ready, and she was making weird faces in your mirror, trying to get her eyeliner right.

You regretted a bit that you never learned to do makeup, so that you could have tried making Dolores', but it didn't bother you for long as your brother barged into your room, startling you, but not your best friend, who heard him coming.

"Dolores !" he exclaims, shamelessly stepping over your pathetic form (you had dropped to the floor when Dolores started talking about Miguel Santiago again and did not get up since) to plant himself behind your friend. "Hello, please do my makeup."

"What about me ?" you whine, trying to grab your brother's foot to annoy him. You were very comfortable on the floor.

"Hello to you too, hermanita. Please, Dolores ?" Jorge got a smile out of her.

Why ? Because Jorge loved Dolores' colorful makeup, and always let her experience new designs.

"You're so rude." you groan as Dolores installs your brother on your bed, reaching for her bag where all her equipment was.

"Get up from the floor, (Y/n)." your Tía says, passing by your door. "You look like a mop."

"I am mop."

___

You were not going to lie. Your brother looked amazing.

But so did you.

And so did Dolores.

"We're so hot." you state at the three of you stand in front of the mirror, checking yourselves out.

"Yes." Jorge nods, and the sparkly moon Dolores drew on his cheek shone under the sunlight. You looked out of your window, realizing it was probably time for your friend to go back home.

"Dolores, we should get going."

You help her gather her things, tell your brother not to create a mess at the ceremony, and head towards the casa Madrigal.

On the way, you meet Luisa, who had just finished a last-minute chore. You did your best to joke around and cheer her up, but she definitely looked gloomy. Isabela was right.

Geez, Abuela Alma could have let her get a bit of rest before the ceremony. She didn't even have time to prepare at all.

"You know what, Luisa, just sit down a minute." you order, Dolores motioning towards the nearest bench. "Back at the sleepover, you said you wanted to braid your hair like Tía Pepa did for Tonito's ceremony ? Let me work on that real quick."

You were a pro at doing one's hair quickly, and in less than five minutes, it was done. Of course, it didn't have a many flowers as last time, Isabela not being present, but it was still pretty.