Sᴘᴇᴄɪᴀʟ Eᴘɪsᴏᴅᴇ : Lᴜɪsᴀ & Mɪʀᴀʙᴇʟ Mᴀᴅʀɪɢᴀʟ

𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝙻𝚞𝚒𝚜𝚊 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚔𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞 :

"(Y/n) ? She's a good friend. Very creative, too. She's really adroit, something I'm not. Sometimes I wish I would be as skilled as her, but she's always helped me when I struggled on one of my drawings. She points out what I do wrong when I can't find it.

Actually, she's the one that got me into drawing, about two years ago, and I think I've made progress since then ! I'm happy she goes along with Dolores so well, because we probably wouldn't have talked that much if they weren't friends."

𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝙼𝚒𝚛𝚊𝚋𝚎𝚕 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚔𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞 :

"(Y/n)'s a boss. She's funny, and also she never judged me. Except that one time I tried to eat an area by sucking it up through a straw, but it was Camilo's idea. And it was a failure, anyway.

Also, she helped me break into Bruno's tower even though I kind of threatened her into it and she believed me when I saw the cracks. I think I look up to her, in a certain way."

𝚑𝚘𝚠 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚖𝚎𝚝 :

"I just survived another day." You quietly sing to yourself, going home after finishing another day at school. You were fourteen years old, already an old soul, and despite the school system in the Encanto not being too pressuring, you just wanted to go home and sleep.

"LUISAAAAA ! DON'T CRYYYY !"

"Oh, dear." You sigh, turning around towards the crying girl. It was coming from a small alley.

A young girl, around eight years old, was holding onto an older and taller one. She was twelve years old, that you knew, because it was Luisa Madrigal. Recognizing the older girl made you identify the younger as her sister, Mirabel.

You didn't see the youngest Madrigal often, probably because she was still a child, and, sadly, because she didn't have a gift. You didn't recall her ceremony in itself, you were only eleven, but you remembered the rumors and worries of the villagers after it became clear she wouldn't get a gift.

You also remember not knowing what to think, because you were a dumb child.

But now, you wondered how she grew up with it. You had heard Alma wasn't happy with this non-presence of a gift, and it must have been rough.

You had seen Luisa run around, however. She was quite young, and already helping so much. You wondered how she found time to do that. Now, the younger girl was crying along with her sister, looking rather worried.

You look around, but no one was near except you. You had no choice but to help.

"Yo, kids. Everything okay ?"

Young Mirabel looks at you, her big eyes filled with tears. "NoOooOo !" She cries, still holding her sister's hand. Well, you had it coming. Of course there was something wrong.

Mirabel being a crying mess, you decided to address Luisa. She was calmer, and tried to smile at you, as if to hide the fact she was crying.

"We're fine, thank you."

You look at her, then at her sister. The two didn't seem to agree on the term of 'okay'. But then, if Luisa didn't want you to intervene, you had no right to do so.

"Alright. If you're sure of it, I'll get going. Feel free to hold me back and tell me everything."

You turn on your heels, ready to walk out of the small alley.

"Wait."

You couldn't believe it worked. Luisa held onto your sleeve gently, but it was enough to retain you. She was really strong. You turn back to her.

"Speak now. I'll do what I can to help."

"I broke my mom's birthday gift, and it's tonight."

She hands you a delicate bracelet, on which three pendants used to be hanging, but one is missing. The two resting represent a pink flower, and what you identify as a small blue dumbbell. In her other hand, she holds the missing piece : a pendant representing green glasses. You look at her, agape. "And you're crying for this ?"

"I...spent a lot of time on it." She looks down at her feet, Mirabel not stopping crying at the sight of her sister's sadness.

"No, no, that's not what I mean. It's lovely." You shake your head, taking the glasses pendant as well. "It's just that... It's easily fixable. Just needs a bit of glue."

"Really ?" Luisa looks up at you hopefully, and Mirabel finally stops crying. Which is great, because you were starting to get a headache.

"Mmyeah. Don't worry, if you let me, I'll fix it. Just follow me to my parents' shop. We have some ultra strong glue there."

___

"There you go." You hand Luisa the fixed bracelet, careful not to accidentally drop it or do any stupid mistake you'd usually do that could get it to break again.

Mirabel jumps in excitement, holding a hand out. You highfive her, chuckling at her behavior. Luisa looks at you gratefully, delicately pocketing the precious gift.

"It's very pretty. I'm sure your mom will like it." You pat her shoulder reassuringly, and she smiles.

"What do you think of my gift ?" Mirabel gets a folded sheet of paper out of her pocket, showing a drawing of her family. "I also embroidered her name on a pillow, but it's at home."

"She just wrote 'Mom', not her actual name." Luisa whispers to you, making you smile.

"You can do embroidery ? That's really cool, Mirabel. I'm sure she'll like it too."

Mirabel nods, folding her drawing back and looking at you pensively.

"What's your name ?"

"(Y/n)."

"(Y/n), if you want, you can come home someday and I'll teach you embroidery. Isabela says it's for losers, but we both know it's actually a cool people's things."

"Why not ? Maybe one day. You'll show me all your creations."

Of course, you never went to Casita until years later, as Dolores' friend. Mirabel had quickly forgotten who had conforted her and helped Luisa that day, and you weren't bold enough to ring at the Madrigals' door and ask to play with an eight years old.

But Luisa remembered you, and always made sure to greet you whenever you'd cross ways.

___
words : 852