34. sisters

"No because that's literally so cool." Your Tía continues praising Isabela's gift, brandishing the cactus your girlfriend had grown for her. "I would fill the town with carnivorous flowers and see who survives."

Isabela turns to you, already expecting your 'I am plotting a very clever plan' expression. She was right.

"We are not doing that, (Y/n). I'm pretty sure you'd die first, by the way."

"Naah. You would protect me, right ?"

She just smiles.

"Right ?"

"Just eat, (Y/n). Don't embarrass yourself." Jorge nudges you, and you almost remind him you saved him from a probable death just a month ago.

You glance at everyone, enjoying the plate they didn't know you were the one to cook. Isabela had given you instructions while you were struggling in the kitchen. And it came out quite well.

"What do you think of the salad, mom ?" You subtly ask. She just shrugs.

"It's good, as usual. Why, does it taste weird ? Who made it already ?"

Silence as everyone looks around, waiting for someone to raise their hands. You smirk, slowly raising yours under their horrified gazes.

"I did."

"OH MY GOD !" Your aunt drops her fork on the floor, getting away from her plate as fast as possible.

Jorge looks blankly at the food before him, considering spitting out what was in his mouth. Your dad calmly and discreetly scoffs out his morsel of salad in his napkin. Your mother hurries to the kitchen, expecting to find a war zone, but looking surprised when she only saw a clean room.

Theresa looks around, utterly confused, while you and Isabela keep eating as if nothing had happened. Looks like there was still someone in town who didn't know how much of a good cook you were.

Jorge and her talked a lot more than before, and they basically became best friends at this point. You were happy for him, and so was he. Him and Theresa still hung out with the others, especially Esteban, but they spent most of their time talking and no longer exploring dangerous caves. Your brother apparently still haven't told her about your cooking skills.

After this episode of panic, your mother sits down at the table, looking at you suspiciously. "(Y/n). You cooked today's lunch ?"

"Yup." You nod, smugly raising an eyebrow as Jorge whistles, impressed.

"Without burning down the kitchen ?"

"It's a salad, mom. I don't need to use the furnace for this."

"Last time was a salad, too. You set my favorite tea towel on fire."

"Well, this time Isabela kept me from playing around with it."

Everyone looks at Isabela with big eyes. She gives them a timid but proud smile, still munching on the delicious salad you had made.

"...Isabela, you're a miracle." Your mother states the fact. "You got (Y/n) to do something without breaking anything ?"

"Hey !" You let out, upset.

"Actually, she broke one glass-"

"Tut !" You silence her by putting a finger on her lips, then turning to your family. "See, everyone, I can cook just fine. At least when Isa is here."

Your aunt carefully takes another bite of salad, narrowing her eyes as she swallows. "It seems normal to me. Good job."

And like that, conversation starts again. You smile at Isabela, silently thanking her for helping you make the salad.