15. the hilarious breaking of Mariano's nose

"The Guzmáns and the Madrigals together will be so good for the Encanto." Abuela Alma smiles, making you roll your eyes. You were glaring holes through Isabela's head since she had sat down at the table, trying to get her attention.

Antonio was starting to get worried by your behavior. You were sat between him and Dolores, near the end of the table. Isabela was sitting next to Mirabel, on the other side of the table, and kept her head turned towards Mariano not to risk making eye contact.

This was ridiculous.

At least, Mirabel could have a staring battle with Dolores. You were left with no opponent.

"To a perfect night. Salud !" Abuela exclaims, making you jump.

"Salud !" you all answer. You give up looking at Isabela, instead focusing on Mariano. He was talking to the girl you desperately needed to have a discussion with. Suddenly, he passes a plate of avocado, blocking Mirabel's view of Dolores.

You hit her shoulder when you hear her tell everything to Camilo, but it was too late. You gracefully offer her an accusing glare.

Everybody looks at choking Camilo, the poor boy turning in Mirabel, Bruno, and then a distorted version of himself in shock. Isabela chuckles nervously, briefly glancing at you in the process. You already had you eyes on her, raising a questioning eyebrow.

She turns back to Mariano. Great.

"Camilo." you hear Félix say. "Fix your face."

"Can I have the water please ?" you ask, noticing the pitcher next to Isabela. She frowns discreetly, passing it to you and blocking Mirabel's view once again.

What's going on, you mouth. There must have been a reason she told you she didn't like Mariano just before dinner. Did she want you to ruin the proposal, or did she just want to tell someone ? You opted for the second option, since she implicitly asked you to shut up when everyone was singing earlier.

It's okay, she mouths back. You shake your head no. Everything was not okay. You wished you had discussed this subject sooner.

Félix suddenly chokes on water, sending it flying in Abuela Guzmàn's food. Camilo had told him.

"AuUgh !" Mariano lets out a weird yell, making you snort.

You wanna marry this ? you motion to him discreetly, Isabela rolling her eyes with a smirk.

"Mirabel, the cream, please." Abuela asks, and as Mirabel turns to her dad, Félix tells Pepa. The sound of thunder makes you tower over your plate, covering it so it wouldn't get wet.

"Pepa ? The cloud."

"Clear skies, clear skies..."

And now Julieta knows as well. This project of keeping it a secret was a success. You give Dolores an anxious glare, which she returns. You turn to Mirabel, who now had her head under the table. What for, you didn't know, so you decided to check for yourself.

"Uh oh." you murmur, seeing the cracks sprouting in between the young girl and Isabela. Those weren't looking good.

"Mirabel ? Everything okay ?"

Mariano's question makes both of you pop up, bonking your heads on the table in sync. Agustín looks at you, then his daughter, concerned.

"Everything's great," he intervenes. "she's just... excited ! For you to propose, which you should do as fast as you can..."

"Yes !" Mirabel exclaim.

"No." Your interruption is left unheard as the young girl spins Isabela's chair to face Mariano. Abuela Guzmán insists for her grandson to sing a song, asking Luisa to bring over the piano. The Madrigal tears up, walking out to get a thing she can no longer lift.

"Uh, it's actually family tradition to sing after." Mirabel pushes Mariano down on one knee, and the idio- the man starts talking.

"Isabela, most graceful of all the Madrigals..."

More cracks appear, making you widen your eyes. At least if the house collapses on you, Isabela won't have to marry Mariano.

Because you'd be dead.

Mirabel lunges herself to hide it, interrupting the man.

"You doing great !" she encourages him.

"I wouldn't say that." you sulk, making Dolores chuckle quietly.

"The most perfect flower in our entire Encanto." He continues, making you cringe. Luisa drags the piano in the room, clearly struggling and on the verge of tears. You hesitantly get up to help her, but before you can, Mirabel rushes under the table, making you trip and fall. Luisa joins you in your misery on the floor, finally breaking down.

She's a real one.

"Nooo !" Mirabel's scream makes you realize some rats had taken the vision shards from her bag and were putting it back together. Pepa's cloud continues to grow.

"What is happening ?" Abuela Guzmán yells as you try your best to stop the rats, nearly catching one.

"Mirabel found Bruno's vision, she's in it, she's gonna destroy the magic and now we're all doomed !"

"Way to summarize, Dolores." you keep struggling as the rats climb up the table and assemble the vision. Mirabel tries to stop them, accidentally sending it sliding to Abuela Alma. "Uh oh."

More cracks appear around Mirabel and spreading in the whole room. You stop yourself from laughing when Isabela, shocked, sends vines in Mariano's face. Pepa's cloud is now pouring down, and your food is ruined. Antonio's animals run out the room, opening the windows and doors.

The whole town was outside, ready to congratulate the new 'perfect' couple.

"FELICIDADES !"

"...Is it too late to say I helped Mirabel break into Bruno's tower and that I am partly responsible for this ?"

___

"Señora, por favor !" Alma runs after the Guzmáns after they exit the house in a hurry, Mariano's nose entirely red.

You follow Isabela out, letting out a pained exclamation as she yells at Mirabel. You felt sorry for the poor girl, that you were going to leave dealing with that. Nobody had seemed to resent you after you revealed you helped Mirabel, Abuela only sending you a disappointed look. You didn't know this woman, so you didn't care.

Casita helped you catch up to Isabela as she opened her door's room. You put your hand on the handle, stopping her from going further. You were very close, your body almost colliding in her back by the push Casita gave you, so you only had to whisper into her ear to be heard in the chaos the house was in.

"We need to talk."

___
words : 1055

note : it's 1:30am in my country right now but I can't stop writing 🙃

hope you enjoyed, have this : 😘