24. about confessions

"I love Isabela." You repeat, sitting up as well.

Dolores looks at you, or at least tries, before remembering it was dark in the room. "Please switch the light on, I can't tell where you are."

You do as asked, turning back to see your friend's wide eyes. And the beginning of a smirk.

"You have a crush ? On my cousin ?"

The good thing about Dolores' gift is that she was always quiet, not used to screaming. So you didn't have to kill her to keep your feelings a secret when she excitedly answered. You know, for instance, that Jorge or Lucía would have screamed it in surprise.

"Yeah."

"Oh my god !" She quietly exclaims, taking your hand to aggressively shake it. "That's so cute ! Welcome to the family."

"Dolores ?"

"You two are like, sooo perfect. Wow, I guess it was obvious now that I think about it. The way she looks at you-"

"Dolores, I don't know if Isabela likes me like that."

"..."

"..."

"It's just a detail. I say if she says no to your proposal, you kidnap her. I'll help you."

"I'm not kidnapping your cousin, even though it would be fun. They'd immediately find out it was me."

"True. But I think it won't be necessary, you know. Isabela likes you. I think."

You feel all giddy inside at the idea of Isabela liking you back, but you shake it off. You couldn't get your hopes too high. You did think there was a chance she liked you, but didn't want to get ahead of yourself.

"We'll see." You shrug. "I plan on asking her on a date anyway, so I'll be fixed soon."

Dolores stares at you as if you were crazy. "You're saying that like it's a piece of cake asking someone on a date."

"It's simple. You go up to them, hit them with a pick up line, they fall for you and say yes."

It wasn't simple at all. You were dying of stress everytime you talked to Isabela. But it was okay, because you loved her. It naturally goes away the more you hang out.

"What's your pick up line, then ?" Dolores raises an eyebrow, interested. You clear your throat, showing her a smug expression.

"Isabela, most graceful of all the Madrigals..." You start mimicking Mariano's proposal speech under Dolores' horrified gaze. "The most perfect flower in our entire Encanto-"

A pillow hits your face. "Stop !" Dolores exclaims, giggling. "That was very poetic."

"So poetic his nose broke."

"That's not funny !"

You look at her. She looks at you.

"Alright, maybe that was a bit funny. His face looked so weird."

___

"Yo, Isa-"

"(Y/n) ! Good morning."

Good morning indeed. Dolores was having a hard time keeping your secret, looking at you smugly every time Isabela was mentioned. You couldn't blame her for it, though, since you always did this in her and Mariano's case. Except you were a bit more discreet.

And now, you couldn't get to talk to Isabela. Everybody was trying to have a chat with you since it is all you had done the last two days.

You turn around, ready to greet whoever was talking to you, only to unconsciously flinch.

"Hey, Miguel."

The seventeen years old was standing in front of you with a grin. You flash him a nervous smile.

"Oh, don't worry ! I'm not here to confess again. I'm trying to get over you !" He says proudly.

"That's great. Congratulations." You genuinely clap, giving Isabela's form in the distance a side glance. She was too far now to hear you, and already too busy to talk.

"Yeah ! Thank you for... You know, telling me what I needed to hear back then."

"You're welcome."

There's a silence as he stares at you with a slight smile. This is awkward.

"Hello, (Y/n)." Carmen appears, plainly interrupting your very pleasant conversation. "I heard Dolores was planning to talk to Mariano. She seems nervous."

First of all, how did she know this ? Second of all, you were thankful she helped you out. You thank her and head off to find Dolores, leaving Carmen with a flustered Miguel.

"H-hi." You hear the boy mutter and scoff as Carmen flashes him a modest grin. You giggle to yourself. Seems like he would get over you sooner than he thought.

"Now, where is Dolores."

___

"You talk so loud, you take care of your mother and you make her proud. You write your own poetry every night when you go to sleep, and I'm seizing the moment, so won't you wake up and notice me ?"

You stand there, agape, not believing that your best friend was making a move on her crush before you could. Suddenly, someone pulls you behind a wooden cart.

"Mirabel ?" You look over the younger's shoulder to see a grinning Isabela. You give her an hesitant smile, stunned by her delighted face. She was so pretty.

"Dolores... I see you." Mariano takes her hands, already deeply in love. He changed his mind a bit too quick for your taste.

"And I hear you." Dolores answers.

"Yes !" Mirabel exclaims.

"You go girl !" You fist bump Isabela, and she high fives her sister.

"Let's get married !" The idiot proposes. You were ready to jump at his throat to protect your best friend with your life, but she took the matter in her own hands.

"Slow down."

You watch them walk away with a proud nod of the head. Dolores had finally done it, and you were happy for her. Now, it was your time to do so.

"Isabela." You confidently turn to her, only to notice she was already looking at you. You try not to let her gaze intimidate you. "Please, date on a go with me. Fuc-"

Mirabel gasps, clasping her hands on her mouth and jumping excitedly. Isabela's cheeks grow red, but she smiles, giggling nervously.

"W-what ?"

The words you had blurted out thanks to a rush of adrenaline were now stuck in your throat as you looked at her hopeful face. Did you really have to do it again ? Yes, because Isabela wanted to be sure, totally sure that she heard you right, even though you mixed up your words.

"Alright (Y/n), you can do this." You calm yourself, taking deep breaths as Mirabel nods aggressively. "Isabela..."

She takes your hands to encourage you, pressing her lips together in apprehension. Did you really say what she think she heard ? She hoped so, more than anything.

"Do you want to go on a date with me ?"

A silence, during which you feel like fainting.

A silence, during which Mirabel holds her breath, expectantly looking between you and Isabela.

A silence, during which Isabela melts in joy and relief. She lets a wide grin grow on her face.

"Yes." She murmurs. "I really, really want to go on a date with you, (Y/n)."

___
words : 1153

note : here ya go :) kinda busy week so I may not post for the next two days either.

hope you enjoyed!