27. kidnapping

"What's going on ?!" Mariano groggily lets out as Luisa carefully sets him down on the floor.

"You were kidnapped." You say in a low voice, trying to sound intimidating.

"I figured." Mariano smiles at you, making you drop your act.

It was noon, and everyone had gathered to eat. You and Camilo needed to kidnap Mariano for obvious reasons : question him on his intentions with Dolores. Of course, you were both weak, so you had asked for Luisa's help. She was still she strongest.

To be honest, she wasn't to happy about participating in your great plan, but she was scared one of you would end up getting hurt. It almost happened, in fact when Camilo tried to jump on Mariano's back to put a blindfold over his eyes. He barely managed to dodge the man's fist, who just acted in self-defense.

When he noticed it was just you, Camilo and an embarrassed Luisa, he let himself get kidnapped.

Mariano was a very dangerous man.

"Mariano Guzmán," Camilo starts, circling him threateningly. "what are your intentions with my sister ?"

"Dolores Madrigal." You precise.

"Yes, Dolores Madrigal. Because, be prepared to be blown away, but I am her brother, Camilo Madrigal !"

"I know that ?" Mariano giggles, utterly confused. Luisa just shrugs. "Well, I intend to marry her someday."

You and Camilo both narrow your eyes, suspicious.

"Marriage ?" You wonder. "What's behind this ? Do you want to steal Dolores' wealth ? Are you a gold digger, Mariano ?"

"(Y/n), Dolores spent all her money on a dress two weeks ago. She hasn't got no wealth." Camilo whispers, loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Thank you for telling me. And for your discretion." You answer as loudly.

Mariano looks between the both of you, a bit uncomfortable.

"Can you guarantee you love Dolores ?" Camilo questions, sitting in front of him on the floor. You join them, and soon, him, Mariano, Luisa and you are sitting cross-legged in a circle.

"Yes." Mariano looks at you with determination, wanting you to believe his love for your best friend was true. "The more I think about her, the deeper I fall."

"Hmm." You answer, unfazed. "Prove it. Name one thing she likes."

"Her family."

You exchange a questioning look with Camilo. He shrugs, satisfied by the answer. "Not bad. Now, what's Dolores' best friend's name ?"

Mariano just points to you, raising his eyebrows at the easy question. "(Y/n)."

"Wrong !" Camilo exclaims. "It's (Y/n) The Brave ! But you almost got it right. You pass this one."

All of you now stare at Luisa, indicating it's her turn to ask a question.

"Uh..." She plays with the fabric of her shirt uncomfortably. "Why do you love Dolores ?"

"WOAH. TRUE ! WHY ?" Both you and Camilo shout, bewildered by Luisa's question. It never crossed your mind.

Mariano smiles, a dreamy expression on his face. "She knows me more than anyone. And she likes me for this. She's the only one who appreciates my poetry." You scoff in agreement, then motioning him to continue. "And I know I have a lot to learn about her, but what I know is already enough for me to love her. She's attentive, kind, and she brings me joy. I don't know how I didn't see her earlier. She's the woman I dreamed of."

Silence falls as Mariano finishes speaking, during which you look at Camilo, then at Luisa. They look as clueless as you about what to do next.

"Uhm... That's great." You weren't ready for that kind of answer, so it unsettled you. "Now, listen. We can't stop Dolores from dating you anyway. I know you like her, which is amazing, congratulations."

You stop so you can all clap soulessly.

"But if you ever hurt her," You smile widely. "you have no idea what's around the corner."

Camilo and Luisa nod frantically, but Mariano doesn't notice, instead starring at your terrifying smile. He felt shivers run down his spine.

"Al... Alright." He laughs nervously. "I promise."

"Great !" You clasp your hand together, standing up to leave. "We're finished then. You can leave, uh, find Dolores I guess."

"Remember our discussion." Camilo threateningly scowls, making you snort. He glares at you, trying hard not to burst down laughing. "I'm serious."

"Y-yeah." Mariano whispers.

"Also, sorry about your kidnapping. Bye !" You add before heading to the lunch tables with your two friends.

"We killed that." Camilo highfives you.

Luisa facepalms.

___

"Tía, please ! I can do this just fine !"

Pepa was in charge of watching you for the afternoon, and it wasn't as fun as with Camilo. She was very strict on what you could do and not do, the later consisting in : almost everything.

"No, no, (Y/n) ! You might get hurt." She hurries to your side to take the shovel from your hands. "You should just be resting. The house is almost done, anyway."

"Then I can help with the details ! I don't see why I could do that." You cross your arms, pleading Pepa to let you do something. She sighs.

"Come on, hermana." Bruno intervenes, putting a gentle hand on his sister's shoulder. "Let the kid help. I think Isabela and Mirabel are planting some plants. Why don't you let them watch (Y/n) ?"

Pepa laughs as starts shine in your eyes. She shrugs, motioning towards her nieces with a knowing smile. Before you go, she hugs you quickly, whispering something in your ear.

"Welcome to the Madrigals, mija."

You quickly kiss her cheek, succumbing to a sudden pulsion, and run away with a sheepish smile. Pepa's genuine laugh sounds in the almost reconstructed house, putting everyone in a good mood.

"Hey." You wrap your arms around Isabela from behind, making her jump in surprise. She turns around with a smile.

"Hey." She echoes, wrapping her arms around your neck. For a moment, you both relax in each other's presence, letting the sight of the other set your minds at peace.

The sound of Mirabel dying in the background snaps you back to reality.

"You girls are soooo cute !" She claps, smiling uncontrollably. "The perfect couple."

You smirk as Isabela blushes, pulling away. "Yeah. It's like we're perfect together."

Isabela slaps the back of your head. You burst out laughing at her glare.

You love her.

___
words : 1050