13. being a responsible adult

One minute, you were happily walking towards Luisa and Mirabel, the next one, you were dragged away by Mirabel herself, towards la casa Madrigal. You were starting to get used to your plans getting changed today.

"Mirabel, I'm very happy to see you, but I would appreciate if you explained what you're thinking of doing."

"You believe me, right ?" Mirabel looks at you with hopeful eyes. You sigh.

"Yes, don't worry. Doesn't mean I wanna get dragged I don't know where."

"Sorry." she let go of you, letting you walking with her at a normal pace. "I think I know how to find out where the cracks are coming from."

"Uh. Interesting." your attention was shortly diverted by people giving you hilarious smiles. This Miguel story had already spread in most of the town.

"We're going to Bruno's tower."

You snap back to reality, grabbing Mirabel's shoulder. "The Bruno ?"

"Yes ?" she breaks free of your grip.

"The Bruno we don't talk about, and whom we are talking about right now ?"

"You got it right."

"I didn't know I was going to die today."

___

"I am dying." you whine, half way up the stairs of the gigantic tower.

You had categorically refused to help Mirabel break in Bruno's tower, afraid of the Madrigals' reaction if they found out. You were even surprised Dolores didn't show up at some point, but either she was busy somewhere else or didn't care at all.

But then, Mirabel said it could be dangerous and threatened to go alone, and you reluctantly accepted, not wanting the young girl to die. That would be a shame.

And now, you were regretting your every life decisions. How did you end up doing this ?

"You're lucky I care for you, Mirabel." you groan. You suddenly realize she wasn't with you anymore, that she had slowed down and was now quite far behind you. "God dammit, (Y/n). You came here to protect Mirabel, and you don't even check she's still with you."

You curse yourself as you make your way to Mirabel, encouraging her to hurry the fuck up so you could be back home for dinner. You had already skipped lunch, you were sure of that.

Eventually, you both made it to the top, your constant complaints motivating Mirabel to speed up so she wouldn't have to hear them. You smirked.

It was your plan all along.

It wasn't, in fact, but you acted like it was.

"Are you kidding me." you cried out, staring at the huge gap a broken bridge had left. You had climbed up so many stairs, for this ?

You were lost in desperate thoughts, not noticing Mirabel remove a rope that was railing on and throw it over a boulder, using it as some kind of anchor. You only notice when she calls your name.

"Come on, (Y/n). We can do this."

"As an adult, Mirabel, I declare you have to obey me and get away from this rope immediately." you panic, seeing as the girl already seemed to have made a decision. "MIRABEL !"

You stop her as she initiates a movement towards the gap. You stare into her determined eyes, pinching the bridge of your nose.

"I am about to do something very irresponsible." you grab both Mirabel and the rope, getting ready to jump. "If one of us survives, she has to tell the other's family about this stupid idea."