23. an apology

"Go, Luisa, go !" you and Camilo encourage the Madrigal as she carries a heavy amount of material for the house. You were banned from helping because of your arm, while Camilo...

"Camilo, why aren't you helping ?" Pepa suddenly notices her son running around with you, shouting words of encouragement or stopping to chat with friends.

"Uhm..." The boy gives her a sheepish smile. "I'm helping keep (Y/n) entertained, mamá."

"Hey, I don't need to be entertained !" You protest, getting a nudge from Camilo. The boy scowls at you.

"Ai, come on ! Go take a shovel from Mirabel and start working, mijo !" Pepa rolls her eyes with a smile before getting back to work. Camilo sighs, gives both you and Luisa a salute and runs to his mother.

"Sooo... Do you need help with those ?" You innocently ask Luisa who frowns at you.

"No work for ya, (Y/n). I would give you something light to carry, but your mom's scary."

You groan, making Luisa laugh. She ruffles your hair before resuming her task and walking away. You cross your arms, forgetting you couldn't move one of them and wincing. It has been two days since the rebuilding of the house started, and you were tired of encouraging people and bothering them with your conversation.

But you didn't want to stay at home either. Everyone was working on the construction, even the kids. The villagers had organized some kind of nursery for the toddlers, and you thought you could help there, but you were chased by the lady whose fish died, because she saw you talk with Bruno. She was insane.

Then, there was those who were charged of cooking meals for the workers. Julieta was here, so you would have liked to help, but you were banned from the kitchen since you almost set your house on fire two years ago. And everyone in town knew.

"What else can I do ?" you start singing to yourself, trying to imitate Isabela's graceful dance moves with one arm.

"I have been summoned." Isabela appears behind you, making you jump.

"Isa ! I can't do anything." You complain as she laughs.

"It's alright, (Y/n). You've already helped enough. That's why I made this for you."

Your face lightens up when she hands you a crown of wild flowers, clumsily put together to create a wonderful piece of art.

Isabela looks down with an embarrassed smile. "It's not perfect, but-"

"I love it." You stare at the fragile gift, touched beyond understanding by her kind gesture. "I really, really love it."

You feel like crying in joy as Isabela giggles, reassured, and delicately puts the crown on your head. You look at her with wide eyes before throwing your arms around her waist in a grateful hug.

"tHaNk yoUuUuUuu..." You sob, only half joking. Isabela snorts, surprised, before patting your back. "Thank you for taking time to do that."

"About that, it took longer than I thought. That's when you understand how useful powers are."

"... Don't worry, I'll teach you how to do flower crowns."

"Really ?" She gasps, overjoyed. "Amazing !"

You laugh, Isabela's enthusiasm at the idea of learning from you boosting your ego. "Yes, I am quite the amazing woman."

"(Y/n)?" A voice calls your name before Isabela can answer, making you tense up. It was Alma.

"Yes, Señora ?"

"I'm sorry to interrupt the both of you." She says with a timid smile. "But I was hoping to have a talk with (Y/n). If that is okay with you, of course."