28. family picture

"Isabelaaaa..." Mirabel chants.

"Grows a flower the town goes wild !" You continue, putting another cactus in the ground. Isabela sighs. You had been singing Mirabel's favorite song for the last twenty minutes, and you kept going back to your favorite part : the one that talked about the girl you loved.

The town's children, who had been watching the three of you, let out exclamations of delightement, imitating the town going wild.

"Isabelaaaa..."

"Almost as perfect as me !" You change the lyrics, posing dramatically. The kids clap when Isabela rolls her eyes, nudging you with a smirk, and you immediately go back to planting your flowers.

The house was almost done, and everyone was finishing the details. Most people had gone back home, including your father who was falling asleep standing. Your mother had accompanied him, leaving Jorge with you. He was among the children, having fun orchestring their reactions to your little show.

"Mirabel !" Alma calls for her granddaughter, then noticing she was with her sister and you. "Isabela, (Y/n). The house is almost done, we just need you for the last touch."

The three of you follow her to the house's door, Mirabel still humming the song. All her family was gathered before the finished house, waiting for her. Isabela goes to stand next to Luisa, pulling you behind her, but you gently break free from her grip. It was the Madrigals' moment.

But then, Mirabel and Dolores both push you into Isabela. Her arms circle your waist, keeping you from running away into the small crowd of townspeople that kept its distance at the bottom of the hill, wanting to give the family some time before celebrating the rebuilding of their house.

"Stay, (Y/n)." Julieta says, everyone agreeing. You give in, and Isabela lets go of your waist, keeping your hand in hers.

Mirabel looks at the house. It's not the same as before, and your heart tingles at the thought of Casita never coming back. But it's beautiful.

"Home sweet home, I like the new foundation." The young Madrigal starts to sing.

"It isn't perfect." Her grandmother, next to her, links their arms together.

"Neither are we." Mirabel nudges her, and they giggle.

"That's true. Just one more thing, before the celebration."

"What ?"

"We need a doorknob." Bruno joins them, and Antonio walks up to Mirabel.

"We made this for you..." He hands her the missing doorknob of the front door. Mirabel looks at all of you, touched. She was getting her own door. It didn't matter if there were gifts or not, everyone would get a door. Antonio takes her hand, just like she did the night of his ceremony, and they advance towards the house.

"We see how bright you burn..." Pepa, Félix, Dolores and Camilo sing with comforting smiles.

"We see how brave you've been..." Isabela and Luisa start, and you join, a bit late but nobody notices. You aren't used to the singing bit yet.

"Now see yourself in turn..." It was Julieta and Agustín's turn, and Mirabel gave them a smile.

"You're the real gift, kid, let us in." Bruno adds, and then Mirabel finds herself in front of Alma.

"Open your eyes..." She caresses her face gently. "Abre los ojos... What do you see ?"

Mirabel looks at the doorknob,where her reflection is visible. "I see... Me. All of me." She turns around to look at her family, tears threatening to fall.