09. the ceremony

"Hey there, Mirabel, Tonito." you cross the two cousins' way in front of the nursery. You were looking for Dolores, who was nowhere to be found.

"(Y/n) !"

You smiled at Antonio rushed to hug your legs. You were always happy to see him and his smiling face.

"How are you doing there, buddy ?" You ruffle his hair, waving to Mirabel, that you hadn't seen since this morning, when she was running away from a bunch of kids, singing. Nothing weird about that.

"I'm scared." Antonio mumbles against your skirt, making you gasp slightly.

"Oh, no ! You shouldn't be scared, Tonito. Mirabel is here to protect you, and you know your mama will never let anything happen to you." You wink at Mirabel, who gives you a small smile.

"But... What if I don't get a gift ?"

He said it hesitantly, probably because Mirabel was here. Her smile saddened.

"So what ?" you crouch down to face him, holding his shoulders reassuringly. "Look at Mirabel, she doesn't have one and she rocks !"

"That's true." Antonio nods, suddenly relaxed.

"It doesn't make you any less special. I don't have a gift myself, except maybe being awkward. Am I not extremely cool ?"

He laughs, along with Mirabel. She looked happier, too.

"Don't forget, Tonito." you ruffle his hair again. "Before everything, tonight is your fifth birthday. So try to enjoy it, even if it doesn't go as planned."

He nods frantically, making you and Mirabel giggle.

"Anyway, I got you a gift."

Those few words lighten his face up, the boy gasping as you hand him his wrapped gift. He is not as careful as Isabela when opening it, tearing it apart without a word for it. You suffer in silence, watching as he expresses his joy before his gift.

"Wow ! Thank you, (Y/n) !"

You had drawn an illustration of a story you and him had invented, where Antonio was an adventurer in the jungle, saving animals and fighting imaginary creatures. The boy's eyes sparkled as he stuck his nose against the framed drawing, impressed.

"How did you draw that ?!" He showed Mirabel excitedly, his cousin whistling in appreciation.

"With my hands, pequino." You show him the magical hands, which he pulls, looking up at you gratefully. You crouch down again, not expecting him to get on his tip toes and kiss your cheek. You fake a gasp, bringing your hand to your face.

"Thank you, (Y/n)." He smiles sheepishly, Mirabel discreetly cooing at his cuteness behind him.

"You're welcome, kid."

"You know, I think I know what your gift really is." he starts as the three of you march towards the stairs, holding hands. You glance at him expectantly. "You make everyone smile."

You and Mirabel exchange a touched glance, the both of you struggling not to squeal. He was just too cute to handle. You squeeze his hand. "I hope I can always make you smile, Tonito."

___

"There you are. I was looking everywhere for you." Dolores appears next to you, making you frown. She could have used her gift to hear you, and, besides, you were the one looking for her. Then, you notice the girl's posture. Dolores usually stood straight.

"Why were you looking for me, Camilo ?" you question him, worried at the distraught look Dolores' features wore. The shapeshifter looks around, as if not wanting anyone to hear, before leaning forward to whisper something in your ear.