11. it's raining hugs

You were crazily dancing around with Luisa and Dolores, enjoying the good music, when a familiar voice sounded and made everyone stop what they were doing.

"The house is in danger ! The house is in danger !"

Silence fell as you swiftly moved between the frozen crowd, trying to reach the spot where you heard Mirabel scream. She was standing in front of Abuela, panting and panicked.

"The tiles were falling and there were cracks everywhere and... The candle almost went out."

People started to murmur around the two of them, Alma frowning as she tightened her shawl around her.

"Show me."

Everyone followed Mirabel. You found Pepa without her Félix in the crowd, and took her shaking hand to comfort her. She squeezed your hand tightly, wind blowing in both of you's hair.

As you stood in the courtyard, you immediately looked over at the candle, but it looked perfectly fine. Félix appeared next to Pepa, and she freed your hand, blood finally running through your fingers again.

Dolores was here, too, and you intertwined your arm with hers, watching as Mirabel tried to explain herself. Isabela scoffes from the top of the stairs, probably thinking her sister lied.

"Abuela, I promise-"

"That's enough." Her grandmother states, visibly disappointed in Mirabel. She then puts on an happy face, turning to the crowd : " There is nothing wrong with La Casa Madrigal. The magic is strong... and so are the drinks !"

You roll your eyes as she asks for the music to start again. Luisa brings the piano over and Agustín starts playing with a nervous smile. Isabela scoffs again before returning to Antonio's room, like the other guests. As Dolores starts following the crowd, you gently grab her wrist, making her scowl.

She couldn't escape the inevitable talk.

___

"I'll be okay. Really." Dolores leans her head on your shoulder, sighing. Talking did take some weight off her heart, and for that she was thankful. You had sat her down on her bed after dragging her to her bedroom, and ordered her to vent.

Twenty minutes later, she was feeling better, and was now ready to dance the night away.

"Come on." She stands up. "Let's get back on the dancefloor."

"Go ahead." you tell her when you exit her room. "I'll join you in a bit."

Dolores shrugs, giving you a playful wink and a smile (genuine, this time) before leaving.

You hesitantly knock on the nursery door. "Mirabel ?"

"(Y/n) ?"

"Herself." you answer smugly, hearing a giggle from the other side of the door.

"Come in."

You enter, quietly closing the door behind you as you saw Mirabel sitting on her bed, cross-legged. You sat in front of her, in the same position.

"You know, sometimes you feel like more of a sister than Isabela." Mirabel snorts ironically, making you raise an eyebrow.

"I dunno. It's sisterly love, you know, I don't think Isabela really hates you. Lots of things left unsaid, like in most situations."

Mirabel stares at you, visibly wondering where you got those diagnostics from.

"I read a lot." you shrug. "Communication is key. About that !" You clasp your hands together. "Care to tell me what happened back there ?"

Her eyes darken. She takes your hands and hold them tightly, afraid you might leave without letting her explain herself.

"It was real. I saw it, (Y/n), why would I lie ? I love Tonito, I would never ruin his night-"

"I know, Mirabel. You'd never do that. But it's hard to believe Casita is breaking down, especially when everything was fine when we checked it up."

Mirabel's grip losen as she loses hope in you believing her story. You squeeze her hand, not done with talking yet.

"So, there are two possibilities : the first one being that you're going crazy, seeing things that aren't happening." she laughs. "And the second one, my favorite so far : Casita is really breaking down, and something serious is happening. How those cracks you were talking about disappeared, I have no idea. But, Mirabel..."

She looks at you expectantly.

"I believe you, because I don't want to think you're going crazy."

Once again, someone hugged you today. It was hug day. Hugs were raining : first, Luisa, then, Isabela, then Antonio, Dolores, Pepa, Dolores again, and now Mirabel.

You could collect hugs from the Madrigals just like the pictures you took earlier. About that...

"Is that a polaroid ?" You gasp, pointing to the camera laying on a shelf. Mirabel nodded. "Let's take a picture."

___

You smile as you look at all the photos you gathered today, closing the nursery door behind you. Mirabel had decided not to go out until the end of the night, not wanting to experience the villagers' judging gazes. It was understandable.

The selfies you took with her were fun, the both of you couldn't keep serious while looking in the camera. You only kept one, leaving the others to Mirabel, who wanted to put them on her wall, next to other pictures.

More than pictures of the Madrigal grandchildren, you had collected their smiles tonight.

"A productive day !" you happily march towards Antonio's room, humming to yourself. That is when your brother comes crashing into you, too busy trying to fix his messy hair to see you.

"Hey there, hermano." you glance at him, raising an eyebrow and starting to fix his hair for him within a second. He watched you thankfully.

"Hey there, hermana." he smiled as you finished, resisting the urge to ruffle his hair and tell him you liked it better when it was messy. He had told you hundreds of times already that he didn't care what you thought.

"Where were you running off to ?"

"To find you, actually. Mom wants to go home, and she said I could stay longer if I was with you."

"Why, of course." You take his hand, leading him back inside. "Let's find her right now."

You bid your mother goodbye, assuring her you would be careful and not go home too late for your brother, that had to help at the shop tomorrow. Apparently, your father had made an appearance, but saw everyone dancing and decided it was too overwhelming. It was typical Diego Hermoza.

Now, you were dancing with your brother like a professional, the both of you being used to invent crazy choreographies together. Some people stopped to watch you twirl him around, either admiring you or thinking you were crazy.

You were having fun, anyway.

Jorge met Luisa and immediately they got along, the Madrigal impressing him with her dancing skills. He even listened to her when she told him to try styling his hair in a different way. You were kind of jealous, but it was soon brushed off when Isabela joined you and Dolores in your dance, executing perfect moves and twirls. Dolores wasn't bothered by her presence, knowing perfectly Isabela knew nothing of her love for Mariano.

You wanted to talk about him with Isabela, some day, but maybe it wasn't really your place.

Was it ?

___
words : 1179