30. Jorge

"Jorge !" You pose in front of him, showing off your brother's dance moves.

"Luisa !" It was her turn to be in the spotlight. She danced skillfully.

"Dolores !" Your best friend executed sharp dance moves.

"Isabela !" She dances gracefully, spinning you around.

"Brrrruno !" You exclaim, pointing to the spot the man was in two minutes earlier.

Bruno had escaped the dance floor.

You and Isabela spot him at the buffet, trying to take advantage of his small height not to get noticed. You decide to let him eat in peace.

The party was almost done, it was late in the night. As usual, your parents had gone home before you and Jorge, and Lucía was sleeping at her boyfriend's for the night.

"Hey," You whisper to Dolores. "Do you know where Mirabel and Camilo are off to ?"

You hadn't seen them for the last twenty minutes. Dolores smiles. "They're talking. Camilo feels guilty him and Mirabel grew apart, so they have a lot of things to catch up."

That was cute. You share a touched smile with Dolores and continue dancing. You could do this all night.

___

"I shall never dance again." You complain, barely being able to walk home. Jorge groans in agreement.

You both had overdone yourselves. You were exhausted.

"At least we had fun." You think positively. "That's what's important."

You turn around when Jorge doesn't answer. You were halfway to your house, now was not the time to fall asleep.

He was still following, hands in pockets and deep in thoughts. You frown.

"Jorge, hermano. Something wrong ?"

He avoids your gaze. "No..."

"Uh." You lean your elbow on his shoulder for support. "Are you that tired from the dance ? Maybe we should never stay that late again."

"No ! It was too much fun. It's something else."

"Do you want to talk about it ?"

"No."

"Alright, but now I'm worried. Do you want to ask me vague questions about it ? I'll answer and hope it won't have any bad consequences."

There is a small silence, during which Jorge stops walking. "Yeah, let's do that." You both find a bench to sit on, considering your house wasn't far at all anymore. It's comfortable, and the night is warm.

"First question." You encourage him.

"Am I a coward ?"

You raise a pensive eyebrow. "I don't think so. You're pretty straightforward, and you know how to stay composed in stressful situations. You're the one who comforted Tía when my arm was hurt, and I could still see you were scared. It was very brave of you."

"Yes, but I don't like things that could be dangerous."

"It's not being a coward, peque. It's being prudent. It's because you're very mature for your age."

"Then I don't like being mature. I want to be like my friends."

You laugh. "I had the same problem. But growing up, you'll see that it'll help you not make mistakes that many will do. It's not always easy, but it's not always a burden either."