20. surviving your very very serious wound

"Ouch. I am suffering." you say tonelessly as your mother tightens the bandage around your shoulder, somewhere around the muscle you had sprained. The impact of the fall had left a purple mark on your skin.

You had applied ice on it for a good half hour, forced by Pepa and Dolores. When you arrived home with a bruised arm, your Tía had completely panicked, almost fainting as she ran around frantically.

Jorge was charged of calming her down, fanning her with a magazine. They were sitting outside, trying to joke around to change their minds. Jorge was worried too, for your arm but also your mental state. He seemed to be the only one realizing a house almost collapsing on you could be traumatizing. It didn't shake you that much, but still, he was worried.

Your dad was sleeping on the couch, in the living room, when you arrived. He was still sleeping now.

Your mother stayed completely calm. There was no reason to panic, after all. A sprained muscle wasn't going to kill you if it didn't even make you cry.

Dolores and her mother even had to drag you here so that you could apply ice on it, instead of searching for Mirabel. They had left you in your mother's steady hands, who immediately agreed you could go look for your friend after half an hour.

"Suck it up." She gently touches your shoulder, smiling. It does hurt a bit, especially when you move your arm, but you wouldn't make a big deal out of it. You get up from your chair and put your shirt back on, ready to search for Mirabel. "Wait, (Y/n)."

"Hmm ?"

She brushes your hair out of your face, looking up at you tenderly. "I am proud of you."

"Thanks, mom. I'm proud of you too."

"Shut up, chula." She booped your nose. "I am really, really proud of you. You grew up to be an amazing woman, and you proved it once again today."

You felt your face get hot, embarrassed. "Mom !" you giggled. She squeezed your cheeks.

"And I feel happy that you're so close to the Madrigals. Now, wait..." She held your hands as you were about to throw them up in the air. "There's something I never told you, actually..."

"Yeah ?"

"When I was younger... I was friend with Bruno Madrigal. You know, the one they don't want to talk about."

"What ?! Mom, you knew Bruno ?"

She smiles at your bewildered expression. "Yes. We were friends since his gift ceremony. I think I was his only friend, except for Pepa and Julieta. But, when he was about 12, he started avoiding me."

A glint of sadness shone in her eyes. "I was 14 and an idiot, so I didn't get why he wouldn't talk to me and got mad. We never spoke again, even though now I understand. He had his own problems, and never talked about it. His visions made people think he was making bad things happen. His mother also put too much responsibilities on him at a young age."

"She still does that." you groan, still upset she caused so much trouble for her family.

"I know, you told me some things about it. That's why I'm proud of you. You're understanding, and at your age I don't know if I could have showed so much maturity. At 21, I couldn't even look at Bruno in the eyes. I was too proud and couldn't assume my past actions. Now, I realize how stupid that was. Believe it or not, but your father was the only one able to make me step off my pedestral. I was an idiot."

"Yeah, that was dumb of you." you smile, making her giggle. "But I understand, because I am so very understanding. Do you regret not talking to Bruno before he left ?"

"You have no idea. I feel like maybe speaking to him could have changed that outcome. I wish I knew where he ran away to. He deserves some excuses."

Oh, if only you knew.

You smirked, hugging your mother so she wouldn't see your face. You couldn't reveal Bruno's secret now. He was already so overwhelmed at the idea of Abuela finding out about him living the walls.

But you couldn't wait for the moment they'll meet again.

"Well, mom, who knows. He may come back one day. I'll get going now." You kiss her cheek and hurry outside.

"Don't move your arm at all ! It needs rest."

"I'll be careful !"

___

"Hey, (Y/n) ! Be careful !" Dolores sighs as you almost slip in a mud puddle.

"I am careful ! Watch me."

You successfully make it out alive from jumping over a small rock, proudly posing afterwards. Dolores snorts.

"MIRABEEEEEEEL !" you then scream, making her jump.

You were very nervous, resulting in you making a joke one minute and being on the verge of a mental breakdown the other. Dolores had found you pacing around a spot you knew Mirabel liked, and she had decided not to leave you alone like that. Plus, she could finally talk to you.

"How do you feel, Dolores ?" You ask after a while of walking and calling for Mirabel. She sighs.

"I don't know... I can't tell if it's a relief not hearing everything or if I'm sad I lost my gift. I can't even use it to find Mirabel !"

"I'd say it's a bit of both." you whisper, kicking a tiny rock out of your way.

"I guess... Also, we have no house now."

"By the way, you can sleep at mine if you want. For as long as you want."

"I sure hope so. Your mom would be delighted."

Your mom. Your mom and Bruno used to be friends. Bruno lived in the walls. Dolores could hear everything.

"You !" You point to her accusingly. "You didn't tell me a man was living in your walls ?"

She shrugs. "Didn't think it would interest you."

You narrow your eyes as she gives you a side glance. You both slowly grow a smile before laughing.

"I'm not angry or anything, you know. It's just... weird." you continue, eyes piercing through the bushes in an attempt to see Mirabel somewhere. Who knows, maybe she was just randomly standing behind a tree. You doubted so.

"Yeah, Tío Bruno's quite weird in general. And he always left clues he was here, so I had to clean behind him. Sorry I didn't tell you, (Y/n)."

"I don't mind. Everyone has secrets."

"Even Isabela." Dolores murmurs. "Mh !"

She didn't lose her habit of squeaking when she talked about subjects she wasn't supposed to know.

"Ah yes, about the proposal. What are you gonna do ? There's no way Isabela is marrying Mariano now that she admitted she doesn't like him to Mirabel. Meaning... He's a free man."

You giggle as she turns red, fiddling with the tissue of her skirt. "I think he needs some time. He does love Isabela, after all."

"I gueeeess." you sigh, patting her shoulder. "He'll grow out of it. I think. I hope."

Dolores nods, eyes still lurking around. "Mirabel !"

"MIRABEL !"

For once, you could be loud next to Dolores. So you gladly took this opportunity to calm your nerves by screaming Mirabel's name. You didn't care if you lost your voice.

You wanted her to be okay.

___
words : 1228

note : a bit of a rushed, filler chapter here.

enjoy!