18. a hurricane of jacarandas

"Welp. This is great." you try to reassure yourself as the candle's flame seems to flicker from your spot behind the potted plant. Mirabel has been in Isabela's room for five small minutes, but it felt like hours.

You had sat down, leaning against the railing, when Casita's tiles moved under your fingers, catching your attention.

"Casita ?" you stood up, ready to jump out a window if the house was to suddenly fall down. Maybe, maybe you would try to grab Mirabel and Isabela beforehand.

But the house did nothing except push you towards Isabela's door, hinting maybe it was time for you to intervene. Did something go wrong between the two sisters in those short five minutes ?

You stared blankly at the door until Casita moved its tiles under your feet, making you crash into the door. "Alright, alright !"

You knock on the door, not waiting for an answer to enter. You had already made enough noise when Casita pushed you into it anyway.

Mirabel was laying in front of you, pulled down by vines, and Isabela was crouching down before her, looking at... A small little cactus.

Did she grow it ? It looked so cute !

"I just made something unexpected..." She starts singing. Oh, another song ? Awesome, you loved Isabela's voice.

You nod proudly as she picks up the cactus, mesmerized.

"Something sharp, something new..."

"Isa ?" Mirabel starts, breaking free of the vines. "This is the part where we..."

Isabela finally spots you and holds out the cactus towards you, eyes sparkling.

"It's not symmetrical or perfect, but it's beautiful ! And it's mine !"

She really did grow this cactus ! You excitedly clap your hands, beaming.

"What else can I do ?"

"Everything !" you cheer as Mirabel eyes you weirdly. Isabela starts to walk away, still watching her cactus as if it was the most precious thing in the world.

"Wait !" Mirabel exclaims, struggling to keep up. "Bring it in, bring it in, good talk !"

Isabela ignores her sister attempts to hug her, oblivious to her surroundings. "What else can I do ?"

"Free hugs ?" Mirabel tries again, in vain.

Thousands of flowers grow around Isabela as you and Mirabel follow up to see her start dancing gracefully.

"I grow rows and rows of roses, flor de mayo, by the mile." She crushes those roses with new, colorful plants. It's beautiful. You spin around, admiring the new colors. "I make perfect practiced poses, so much hides behind my smile."

Flower statues of Isabela get destroyed by more vines, making you gasp.

"What could I do if I just grew what I was feeling in the moment ?"

"Do you know where you're going ?" Mirabel worries as Isabela's plants get crazier. It's beautiful.

"She'll find the way, don't worry." You sing relatively well, following the melody.

"What could I do if i just knew it didn't need to be perfect, it just needed to be ? And they let me be ?"

More plants grow, keeping you and Mirabel from getting to Isabela. You don't really care, busy admiring her for finally realizing what she could do.

"A hurricane of jacarandas ! Strangling figs-" Mirabel dodges a growing tree, letting out an exclamation.

"Big !" she gets closer to you, holding onto your arm to seek protection.