Chapter 29 Lost Children

No one's POV

The forest on the eighteenth floor was enormously vast. The swath of skyscraping trees spanned the floor from east to west, making up a full fifth of the Under Resort's total area, and its greenery ran flush with both the sweeping grasslands at the floor's center and the enclosing walls on its every side.  The forest at night was very much a dangerous place. Even those acquainted with its byways and thruways could easily lose their bearings at a moment's notice.
The reason for all this buildup was, of course, to provide transition, because, as one might expect in such a forest—Bell and Lefiya were completely and hopelessly lost.

Bell:...And W-we're lost again.

Lefiya: Y-you say that like it's my fault!

Their game of cat and mouse had ended right smack in the middle of the dark woods, neither one of them realizing just how far they'd come until they had no idea where they were. Bell's head hung particularly low, as this was the second time today he'd found himself lost among these trees. Lefiya, however, just continued her red-faced tirade, taking umbrage at everything coming from Bell's mouth.

The two novice adventurers could only pant heavily, wiping the continuous sweat from their brows as they stood beneath the lofty branches. Lefiya had finally caught up to Bell only a few minutes prior. Just when she'd been about to strike down the frightened rabbit with her staff, she'd broken free of her trance long enough to realize nothing around her looked familiar.

The silence was deafening. The road back was unclear. And the deep, dark, spine-tingling forest all around them quickly brought reality down on them hard as they stood there in their cold sweats, silently wondering what it was they should do. Running about recklessly would get them nowhere fast, which meant staying put was their best option for now.

Lefiya: H-Honestly, it's your own fault, you know? You shouldn't have run away! And especially this deep in the forest!

Bell: B-But if I hadn't, I feel like I would've died there.

Lefiya: Just what do you take me for?! I would never kill you! I only wanted to beat you within an inch of your life, that's all!

Bell: Like that's any better?!

Almost as soon as they were able to breathe normally again, the squabbling started. Bell's portable magic-stone lantern wobbled back and forth in time with his words.

 Bell's portable magic-stone lantern wobbled back and forth in time with his words