(Xenos) Chapter 69 Their Respective Battle

No one's POV

Dionysus: Loki, where did you go?

After leaving Finn, Loki went to the location where Dionysus was observing the battle—a spire near Loki Familia's main base, looking out a window inside it.

Loki: I went by the Guild for a bit.

Dionysus: What? Did you go to Ouranos?

Loki: Who knows.

Loki giggled as Dionysus looked at her reproachfully. Loki glanced around once she was satisfied by the discontent of the god who was cunning under normal circumstances. The narrow light of a lamp made of magic stones was barely visible, sending an unending stream of signals going back and forth. Was that bonfire in the northwest actually a watch fire in the plaza where the evacuees were gathering? Filvis wasn't with Dionysus. Loki had two members of her familia as bodyguards, but they were keeping their distance.

Loki:...How does the situation look to you?

Dionysus: No clue. Without clairvoyance or the divine mirror, there's no way to know what's goin' on out there.

Loki: That's true.

Loki stuck out her tongue at Dionysus peering into the darkness. But she sniffed as if she could sense the minute changes through the air of the Labyrinth District.

Loki: But they're done with feelin' one another out.

The warning bell in the west was still ringing. Its chime seemed to confirm Loki's comment, declaring the end of the opening skirmish and announcing the beginning of the real battle. Loki opened her crimson eyes just the tiniest bit.

Loki: The real fight starts now.

(Elsewhere)

The sound of a blade parrying a wooden sword, an intense clash, rang out as Aiz landed in the alley.

Aiz: Guh!

As she fell on the ground from the roof, Aiz faced off against her attacker, the masked adventurer. The stranger's long, hooded cape fluttered, and they wore boots that extended halfway up their thighs. The svelte adventurer held a wooden sword as their lower body shifted into a battle stance.

The location was a backstreet in the southeast of the Labyrinth District.

The street was unexpectedly wide at seven meders with wooden boxes and casks and mounds of scrap wood haphazardly scattered around. The skirmish between the boy and the adventurers chasing the monsters was in the distance. That one corner of the Labyrinth District became a battlefield all their own, as if the rest of the world had been closed off.

Aiz: Who are—?!

Ryuu: Unfortunately, I cannot identify myself. Please forgive what practically amounts to a surprise attack.