(Melen Arc) Chapter 35 Telskyura

No one's POV

(Flashback)

Ever since she could open her eyes, Tione had been a part of that country. The forsaken island of Telskyura. A nation of female warriors, Amazons, whose ceaseless rituals of bloodshed had been continuing since their goddess had come into power. The first two things she could remember were a searing heat on her back and the sound of someone crying—she didn't know if it was herself or someone else. Falna. Since the moment they were born, Tione and the other girls of Telskyura had been christened as children of their goddess.

 Since the moment they were born, Tione and the other girls of Telskyura had been christened as children of their goddess

She didn't know what the warmth of a mother's hand felt like. She wouldn't know her parents if she saw them. She wouldn't be able to pick out their voices.
She had no semblance of family save one—the girl she'd recognized instantly as her other half the moment they saw each other. And she was sure it had been the same for Tiona, too.

Tiona: They told me you're the big sister and I'm the little sister!

Tione: Hmph.

The word sisters had been nothing more than a word to the young twins, but it would grow to become a powerful bond. To be respected in Telskyura, one had to be a true warrior. Strength was everything in this holy land of the Amazons. It was truth.

Those with strength were lauded, given status and prestige. Contrastingly, the weak, who were defeated in combat and denied even the honor of a noble death, were forced to serve their country and superiors as part of the labor force. Bloodshed was a means of attaining true warriorhood, a staircase, a time-honored national custom. Telskyura was an embodiment of Amazonian instinct in every way.

Enter the goddess Kali, who was every bit as fond of combat as the Amazons. Her blessing further developed the Amazons' abilities, making their battles all the more violent. The warriors revered this bringer of strength as their one and only god, and the perpetual fighting and bloodshed flourished.
Did Tione feel remorse for the endless days she'd been forced to fight?

No. Truthfully, she'd had no real problem with it. Had she been unable to fight off the monsters coming at her, she'd have been killed. This was simply basic instinct. Above all, she was an Amazon— it was in her nature. Fighting gave her a natural high that got her blood pumping.

No, it wasn't the days and nights she spent in combat, experiencing all that power, that filled her with such enmity. In fact, that was all she'd known back then. Defeat the monsters in the arena, then return to her large stone room with naught but the necessities of life—her days had consisted of nothing but this back-and-forth path. Her entire world had consisted of the zealous cries of her brethren and the cold, cold stones of the battlefield.

It was when she'd first had to face off against her own sisters that her days of fighting had begun to lose their appeal.

By the time the monsters in the arena had turned into her fellow Amazons, it had already been too late for Tione. Her peers, similar in age and height, had fought harder than the monsters she was so used to, and though it had been difficult at first, soon, she was picking them off as quickly as the monsters that had come before.