Chapter 30 Co-Op

No one's POV

The white shadow—Bell—swung the great ax in his hands with every drop of strength he had left in him and brought it down on the massive whip. The blade struck with a jarring jolt.

Lefiya: ?!

Impact sending it off course, the rushing tentacle missed Lefiya's body by a mere celch's width. Lefiya held her breath, shocked by the fact that she was still alive, as she felt the shock waves from the point-blank attack. Bell touched ground for only a moment before leaping back up with his ax flying. He sank the blade into the thick tentacle curled around Lefiya's wrist, blood gushing from the wound as he severed it whole.

Lefiya: H-Hot! That boy is...?!

Free from the creature's grasp and having fallen to the pit's floor, Lefiya looked up at the boy standing before her. His back was to her, as though he was placing himself between the enemy and her. A thin white mist rose from his body as the acid continued to eat at his skin, the large mythril ax, a nameless weapon of dwarven use, clenched tightly in his hands. Blood from the wound on his head stained his back and shoulders, but even still, his eyes never left the creature staring down at them from above.

Bell: !!

A creature that appeared very angry now, its one eye bloodshot and glowering as its severed tentacle squirmed like a decapitated snake. The glow returned to its crown. This time it was going in for the kill.

Lefiya(mind): NOT good!

Lefiya's heart screamed at her as the monster howled anew. Bell, however, wasn't about to let it happen. Raising his right arm—he fired his own blast.

 Raising his right arm—he fired his own blast

Bell: Firebolt!!

Scarlet tendrils of lightning—no, of fire—shot forth from his hand. For just a moment, time seemed to stop. As Lefiya watched, the blinding- fast bolt of sparkling flames shot toward the creature, shattering its crown of light before it even had a chance to unleash its cry.

Lefiya: Gngh?!

Again and again the fiery tendrils hit, nine in total. Every single one of them was a direct hit, completely disintegrating the trap monster's crown. The crown exploded in a flurry of sparks, abruptly halting its high-pitched scream.

Lefiya(mind): Just now...He...he didn't even have to chant?! An instant spell?! I've never heard of something like that!

Lefiya couldn't believe her eyes. She'd never seen such a thing, never even heard of such a thing. A chant-less, instant spell. And not only that, but he could fire them one after another.

Lefiya(mind): Is this some kind of joke?!

She almost found herself screaming, in complete disbelief as a mage.

Bell: Miss Lefiya! Your spell!! My magic won't hold it off...!

Bell howled in between haggard breaths. Lefiya shook herself from her daze, head snapping up to see that vibrantly colored creature right above her, flames raking its body in a fiery inferno. Its crown continued to blaze, but even through its anguished cries, its one great eye was still pointed at Lefiya and Bell. It was enraged.