(Melen Arc) Chapter 37 Past Time

No one's POV

(Flashback)

Why did she have to remember now, of all times?

After she'd killed the person who'd meant the most to her, after a wild light had begun to appear in her eyes, a certain Amazon had arrived to hurl her life into an even deeper level of hell.

Argana Kalif. The top contender for the rank of Telskyura's next captain. And the warrior whose mentality was closest to Kali's. Her training was nothing short of gruesome.

The day they'd met, Argana had broken her. For no specific reason, other than that the combat-obsessed warrior Argana did not distinguish the training in their dark stone room from the battles to the death in the arena.

 For no specific reason, other than that the combat-obsessed warrior Argana did not distinguish the training in their dark stone room from the battles to the death in the arena

As Tione was reduced to blood-soaked skin and bones, she came to hold the same fear toward Argana that Tiona held toward Bache—along with an even more powerful anger.

Argana: Those eyes. You're the first to not break.

Through the scalding pain and her hazy consciousness, she came to see Argana as a symbol of Telskyura itself. The very custom that had forced her to kill Seldas.

Argana: You're good.

Argana immediately took a liking to the young girl who couldn't be broken, who refused to relinquish her will to fight or her unbridled rage. She licked her lips hungrily, her long tongue twitching like a snake's at the sight of all that blood and Tione's murderous eyes as she lay battered and bruised on the ground below.

 She licked her lips hungrily, her long tongue twitching like a snake's at the sight of all that blood and Tione's murderous eyes as she lay battered and bruised on the ground below

Argana's fighting style and brutality were feared even throughout Telskyura. She would drink her opponents' blood, digging her razor-sharp teeth into their skin and sucking their very life force from their body even as they wailed and cried in pain and despair. It intoxicated her; it was the highest grade of alcohol there was as she feasted on the flesh of the strong.

—Those who survived the rites were simply known as "True Warriors," and the inhabitants of Telskyura weren't given aliases as the adventurers of Orario were, save for Argana. She was referred to as Kalima, a cruel, villainous warrior recognized even by Kali herself.