(Death Maze) Chapter 44 Daedalus

No one's POV

Loki:  So! To no one's surprise, our top contender for Orario's most suspicious spot is Daedalus Street, am I right?

Loki asked, looking out at the faces of her fellow gods. They were occupying their usual high-class pub—in the room with the soundproofing to ensure no prying ears caught wind of their conversation.

 They were occupying their usual high-class pub—in the room with the soundproofing to ensure no prying ears caught wind of their conversation

Dionysus: More like there's nowhere else left, I'd say.

Hermes: I've been combing the streets the last three weeks together with Dionysus's kid. We turned any place even remotely suspicious inside out, but no cigar, it would seem. Not a single noteworthy find.

After Dionysus spoke from his spot at the round table, Hermes quickly added his own comment. This was the first time they were meeting since Loki Familia's return from Melen, and the three gods were taking the opportunity to share the new information they'd uncovered after some time without seeing one another. They'd each brought with them their respective escorts to watch over the proceedings: Dionysus had the elf, Filvis; Hermes had Lulune, the chienthrope; and Loki had Gareth.

Loki: We've had the answer in front of us the whole time; we just didn't see it. Think about it: If you wanna hide a tree, stick it in a forest. Likewise, you wanna hide an entrance to the Dungeon? Hide it in a maze...Have we actually found anything there, by the way?

Hermes: On Daedalus Street? Not a thing. And we searched, Loki, trust me. That area is...special, even compared with vast Orario as a whole.

Hermes shrugged, his smile laced with irony as Loki took a glass of wine sitting on the table and downed it like so much water. It was just as Loki had said herself back when they'd first formed their unlikely alliance: They already knew their most likely target. Daedalus Street. Known as the Dungeon on the surface, the area was the brainchild of the master craftsman Daedalus himself.

Dionysus: That's the only place in the city we've yet to untangle. Considering the general populace is still very much in the dark about this second entrance, Loki's guess may very well be correct... What's more, Daedalus Street is a stone's throw away from the city's eastern side where the Monsterphilia was held.

When Dionysus mentioned the surprise appearance of the violas at the event, Loki nodded.

Loki: Daedalus Street it is, then. Maybe we'll head out there tomorrow and check things out.

Dionysus: And you're all right with that, Loki?

Loki: Oh, stop asking me like you weren't gonna have me do it all anyway! I know you.

She flashed them a cold stare, which elicited forced chuckles from the two gods in question. They were so in sync, Loki couldn't help the suspicion forming in her mind as she watched their chummy behavior. She snorted to let them know she thought complaining about it was more trouble than it was worth.