(Death Maze) Chapter 45 Another Dungeon

No one's POV

Ka-chunk. Ka-chunk. The sound of dirt being carved away echoed throughout the darkness. First came the swing of a hammer, followed by the pounding of a nail. Again and again, for long hours, the work continued in that dark tunnel.

Thanatos: You don't suppose you could help us with a little something, do you, Barca dear?

Barca:..Leave me be, Thanatos.

The light from Thanatos's lantern flickered off the shadowy walls as he stood behind the busily digging figure to accost him. The man in question—a human named Barca—neither turned around nor halted in his work. A dark bag sagged beneath the one eye not hidden by his long bangs, making him a dead ringer for the man Aiz and the others were currently hunting.

Barca: There's no time. Even talking to you now is costing me precious moments...You must understand our suffering. The plight of those not blessed with eternal life. Our masterpiece is not yet complete...

Thanatos: Yes, well, it would seem Loki Familia is finally on their way here...

Though Barca had complained, his soft voice so lifeless one might think he was dead, his hand stilled instantly. Thanatos watched him for a moment, a smile playing across his lips, before continuing.

Thanatos: They're trouble enough with their constant sniffing around, but if we don't do something about them now, it may make fund- raising more difficult...perhaps. My thoughts were to invite them down here for a bit and have the darkness simply...swallow them up.

Barca:...

Thanatos: After all, with them in the way, you wouldn't be able to finish your ancestor's dear labyrinth, now, would you?

Barca's hands fell limply away from the wall. Finally turning around, ever so slowly, he focused his dark eyes on Thanatos.

Barca: What would you have me do...?

Thanatos: There was a certain gadget I thought about using, but...my, my, only you and your ilk are able to control it, yes? Or at least that's what I heard a short while ago.

Barca:...You aim to use our masterpiece to inflict harm, Thanatos?

Thanatos: You say that as if we wouldn't lose everything if they were to round us up all at once! Besides, isn't this sort of purpose the exact reason you prepared it in the first place? Or am I wrong?

Barca:...

Thanatos: There's a good boy. I'm counting on you, now.

Thanatos finished talking, his eyes crinkling in mirth. Barca averted his gaze.

BarcaL Let me know when you need me.

Barca finally agreed, nodding with a begrudging jerk of his head. And then he was back to work. Thanatos let out a chuckle ("Still stubborn as ever") and turned on his heels, leaving his follower behind.