(Death Maze Arc) Chapter 43 Clean Up

No one's POV

All in all, the "Melen incident" was just about cleaned up that night.

The Guild decided to blame Kali Familia for Loki Familia's fight in the middle of the wharf. "An unfortunate accident brought about by savage Amazons from a remote land," was how they described it. As for the violas, well, those were just monsters who happened upon land at a most inopportune time.

The Guild's top brass didn't have much choice on the matter given how Loki had dragged them into the investigation

The Guild's top brass didn't have much choice on the matter given how Loki had dragged them into the investigation. From the violas' release into the sea, to the involvement of wonder boy Njord, of all people, to the conspiracy of the Murdock estate, and perhaps most egregious of all—that a high-ranking Guild member would be involved in embezzlement—they knew that going public with everything would shake Melen to its very roots. The Guild, being the Guild, could already picture the kinds of criticism they'd receive (and the many ways other familias would be able to take advantage of them and invite them to ruin).

If details of this incident got out, plots to reveal their weaknesses would come out of the woodwork. It was almost as if they'd received a warning already, from the "thread" connecting the separate points of the scandal: "If I'm going down, you're going down with me."

Truthfully, the Guild had long been getting information from Loki Familia on the secret maneuvers of Orario's organizations, but they'd never acted upon any of the tips, perhaps already afraid of the retaliation (and mutual destruction) it would bring.

Loki: See, the reason they released the violas then...and also the reason why they only had 'em do so much damage...was to make it seem like they were never even there.

Riveria: I see. It was more than a diversion...It was insurance.

That was the explanation Loki and Riveria came up with. Then that "thread," that queen of beauty, could make her way back to Orario, smiling as though none the wiser. While nothing would happen to Njord or Borg, what with the strong influence they had on Meren's administration, there was no question as to the deal that was made behind the scenes promising their allegiance to the Guild. Thus, it came to pass that Guild Branch Chief Rubart would be the only one taking the fall.

(Timeskip)

Njord: The hell. So that guy Rubart was the only one to go down, huh? He really drew the short straw on this one.

It was the day after everyone had returned to the port city proper, making it the second day after the events had transpired at Melen's wharf. After dealing with the constant belligerence that was the Guild, Loki had made her way quickly—escaping, perhaps—to Njord and company to wrest out the full details of the proceedings.

 After dealing with the constant belligerence that was the Guild, Loki had made her way quickly—escaping, perhaps—to Njord and company to wrest out the full details of the proceedings