(Melen Arc) Chapter 39 Burst Out

No one's POV

Tione and Argana's ship had already made its way well out to sea. This far away from the coast, nothing but the gleam of the cliff-top lighthouse could reach them. And atop that boat, a similar scene to the one deep within the bowels of Tiona's sea cave was currently taking place, Amazons whooping in virulent passion as the sounds of fist on skin reverberated throughout the deck.

Tione: Gnnngh!

Tione aimed a kick for Argana's head, but the other woman blocked it with her arm before jumping out of reach. Argana cocked her head to the side curiously.

Argana: You're movement's faster than yesterday

Argana: You're movement's faster than yesterday...Why is that, Tione?

And it was true—Tione's strikes were hitting with much greater precision than they had the day prior. The increased speed and accuracy enabled her to actually fight on par with her opponent.

Tione: Isn't it just you getting slower?

Tione snapped back, though not before she cursed internally. Tione and Tiona had leveled up only a mere day before they came to Melen. Neither one of them had been able to fully come to terms with their new boosted abilities. There was still a bit of a gap between their bodies and minds, which, though slight, could prove fatal in a match against another top-tier adventurer.

Her fight with Tiona back in the abandoned warehouse had been to rectify exactly this. Just as Aiz had gone up against that giant swarm of monsters immediately after her own level-up, Tione, too, had "adjusted" herself—the sister vs. sister practice duel let her put her new abilities into practice. She'd been able to rein in the stampeding horse that was her own body. She wasn't going to be defeated this time. And she assumed it would be the same for Tiona, now able to hold her own against Bache.

Tione(mind): Still...she's got the advantage when it comes to sheer power...

Argana and Bache, too, might have leveled up only a short while ago, but it was still a longer period of time than Tione and Tiona had. Ability-wise, at least, they'd always be ahead. She also hadn't been able to sense any openings in the other woman's moves, at least nothing like some of the ones she'd seen in Finn and the others. Which meant everything was going to come down to technique and strategy. Victory would fall to the one who craved it the most.

Argana: Ah, is that so? I've gotten slower have I?

Argana laughed—a remarkable feat considering she was currently locked in a duel to the death. She seemed to be thoroughly enjoying herself.

Argana: In that case, I'll have to hurry up and become stronger.

Tione:...!!

Brimming with an almost tangible thirst for blood, Argana sprinted forward. Tione rose to meet her, kicking her leg up to block the incoming attack. Argana's fists flew at her, from the left, from the right, like deadly sickles slicing through the air.