(Ulfheoinn) Chapter 59 Vanargand

No one's POV

Now that the prologue was out of the way, Bete's eyes flashed with a sharpened glint. He could already sense the presence of the ten-, twenty-some assailants hiding in the shadows of the surrounding pillars. This was a trap; that much was for sure. But none of that mattered to Bete. Not now. He was ready to kill, no matter how many enemies came at him. Fury coursing through his veins, he took a step forward. But...

Bete: ?!

That's when he noticed it.

Bete(mind): What's...? Is this a Trap?

The stone floor was ever so faintly glowing, myriad geometric shapes shimmering faintly on the surface. They were a reddish-purple color, just about masked completely in the amaranthine phosphorescence of the magic- stone lanterns lighting the room. And they covered the entire length of the room, each one of them 120 or so meders across.

The round shapes seemed to center around Valletta in the middle of the room. Bete narrowed his eyes.

Valletta: What's wrong, Level Six? Don't tell me you're scared! You wouldn't run away with your tail between your legs now of all times, would you?

True enough, Bete didn't have much choice in the matter now. Was it magic? A curse? Or something else entirely?

Bete(mind): Tsk. Whatever, bring it on!

At this point, though, he didn't really care. This hungry wolf had only one thing on his mind: killing and eating his prey. He stepped forward, metal boots landing in the range of the reddish- purple circles.

Valletta: He-he-he!

With one grin from Valletta, the battle began. Bete shot forward, kicking up and off the stone. Only for Valletta to leap to the side, dashing back into the shadows of the columns to escape.

Valletta: What, you don't wanna play?

Bete hissed as he raced after Valletta, who was now making use of the entire width of the underground chamber to duck and dodge away from the wolf. She let out an even louder guffaw, and though Bete knew she was trying to goad him on, he couldn't stop the anger from bubbling up inside him. Column after column he smashed in his pursuit as the woman cackled in glee.

Valletta: Do it guys

It was like he was stuck in an endless loop. Though clearly the faster of the two, he realized that no matter how many times he tried to attack, one of her Thanatos Familia goons was always there to block him.

 Though clearly the faster of the two, he realized that no matter how many times he tried to attack, one of her Thanatos Familia goons was always there to block him

Bete: Out of the way!

Thanatos Familia: Gaah?!

Valletta: Uwah, that bloodlust! I'm soooo scared! How ya feeling there, Vanargand? Better be careful, if ya get caught by my boys you're dead for sure.

Bete: Stop running away! And don't you fucking dare play with me!

The rosy glow of the magic-stone lanterns overhead. The reddish-purple haze of the patterns underfoot. Together, they made for an ethereal, otherworldly ambience, and in the midst of that world of color, Bete's face twisted in increasing irritation.