Part 33

Italics are Daemon's flashback in his POV- it'll switch between him telling it and the flashback 

"Rose isn't actually my biological mom. Lucien's not my real father, either.

My real parents were both rogues. They had been cast out of their pack and traveled across the continent searching for a place we could start anew. But they caught Xaerva. The disease killed them slowly. I didn't catch it, I don't think. 

I didn't understand what was going on. I was only 3. And, I don't even know how I fucking remember this, but my mom sat me down one day..."

Mama has tears in her eyes. She looks so sad these days. "Look what your father did to us, Daemon. We're rotting all alone out here. Can you believe it? My own mate got us cast out from my pack."

She says stuff like this a lot. I don't think she likes dada. "Listen here, baby. All mates are good for are heartache and pain," mama tells me. I nod. I hope I don't have a mate if they make you cry like this. 

"Not long after that, my parents died. I don't really have a recollection of it. I think I thought they were sleeping. So I was left stranded out there in the wilderness. That's when Rose found me."

I lay on the ground, my stomach aching. I'm so hungry. But mama and dada have been sleeping so long they haven't made me any food. Then I smell something. Not food, exactly, but something new.

I go outside. There's a man and a woman there. The woman has long hair the color of the sun. It looks kind of like yellow corn. My stomach growls again.

"It's a kid!" she exclaims with wide eyes. 

"I'll check the shack. You stay with him, Rose," the man says, walking past me. 

I walk to the woman. She seems nice. She smiles at me and kneels down. "What's your name?" she asks. 

"Dawmon." It's hard to say my name like the adults do. 

"Daemon?" she asks. 

I nod. 

"Are you okay Daemon?" she asks me.

"Hungwy,"

She pulls something from her pack. It's a sandwich that smells like meat and cheese. My mouth waters. Mama and dada only feed me burnt mushy fish. They don't know how to cook.  

I gobble up the sandwich and she giggles. "You're a messy boy!"

I laugh too. I am a messy boy. The man comes back out, whispering something in her ear. 

"Oh, Lucien," her brows crease, her face saddening. He puts an arm around her in comfort. I don't know what's wrong. I look at them in confusion. Rose kneels back down to me. "You need to come with us, Daemon. Your parents have to stay, though."

I don't like that. "Why? You not wake them up?"

She shakes her head, grasping my hands in hers. "They're with the Moon Goddess now, Daemon. We can't stay with them,"

I start to cry and she pulls me close. "Mama!" I cry. "I need mama!"

"I know, baby. How about I be your mama now?" she asks. 

"Rose-" the man starts, but she shakes her head at him. Then she looks back at me. 

"Mama?" I ask her. She's my mama now?

She nods. "Yes. Mama," 

I grab her golden hair, put it in my mouth and try to chew it. "Oh!" she laughs. "Isn't he just the cutest?" she asks the man. He has a slight smile on his face.