Part 24

I am so thankful for all the positive feedback. Love y'all!

When I wake up to an empty bed, my heart drops, thinking I dreamt it all up. I scramble out of the sheets, spotting a little note on the nightstand. In a messy scrawl it reads:

Had early morning call. See u later? with a funny looking face scribbled next to it.

I find myself beaming as I pull out my phone to text Daemon, snapping a photo of the note and sending it to him.

Me: You could have just texted me!

Almost immediately he starts typing in response.

Daemon: I could've. But I thought you'd like it, dork.

Me: I do <3

I add the heart to my message with relish, smiling to myself all the while. I remember that today I go back to school, so I jump up to get ready. Actually being able to sleep for once has worked wonders on me. I have never slept so soundly, without a nightmare before. Except for maybe when I was little. But I can't remember.

I pull out a cute striped knit sweater and skinny jeans, humming to myself as I get ready.

*

School is the usual stare and whisper show as usual. Except for this time, it's not about what Henry did to me, it's about what I did to his brother. Is it bad that I don't feel sorry? Maybe that makes me a bad person. I don't know.

I meet up with the gang at lunch and Lylah is static to see me, throwing her arms around me. I hug her back tightly, glad to be back. I apologize for being distant during my suspension. I lie and say Lucien took my phone, not wanting to tell the truth, which is that I was too depressed to even pick up the device.

"I'm just glad you're back and not expelled!" Lylah exclaims.

"It's all because Jay vouched for me," I look to said alpha, giving him a look of appreciation. "Thanks again for doing that, even though I didn't really deserve it after what I...did,"

"What are you talking about?" Jay says, "Everyone's been waiting for Trent to have his ass handed to him. Glad someone finally stepped up and did it,"

"Agreed! Or I would've done it myself," Lylah proclaims, putting a hand over her chest as if she were doing to a pledge.

"Really?" I was worried they might think less of me.

"Yeah. You're badass, Ash," Jay winks at me.

"T-thanks" I reply, flustered. Surely he's exaggerating! I don't think what I did was that epic. And now Lylah is making all sorts of teasing faces at me that Jay can't see and I just shake my head at her.

"Anyway," she clasps her hands together. "I dropped Jay's jersey off at your house! You got it, right?"

"You don't have to keep it, Ash," Jay immediately cuts in, "Not if it reminds you of..."

"No, no," I assure him. "I'll keep it. In your honor,"

Lylah looks pleased with herself, a mischievous look on her face as she looks from me to Jay. "Okay and can we talk about how you called Ash gorgeous at the game? Hmmm? Hmmm?" Lylah jabs Jay playfully in the side and he flushes, hiding his face from us. "And how about how much you whined about Ash being gone these past two weeks?" she continues until Jay is putting a hand over her mouth to stop her. She gleefully tries to squirm out of his grip.

I just laugh at their antics and my cheeks are already so sore from all the smiling I've been doing. Lylah sure knows how to rile people up! It seems her new hobby is trying to embarrass Jay in front of me.