Part 54

To say things have been awkward with my dad are an understatement. Despite always having dreamed of having family, now that he's here I don't really know what to do. What do families do together? Go to the park? Have meals at the same table? I wouldn't know whatsoever.

My dad almost feels like... a stranger. It's sad to say, but as I watch him in the kitchen with Lucien attempting to help with the dishes because he's been staying there, I can't help but think that I don't know him.

"What's on your mind, shortcake?" Daemon kisses my head, arms wrapping tighter around me where I sit on his lap.

I shake my head. "Nothing. Just feel odd, is all,"

"And that's perfectly normal," he reassures me, kissing my cheek again. And then again and again. I giggle as he smothers me in affection.

"Goddess, are you incapable of keeping your hands off the sheep? He's not going anywhere," Tristan comes in the room from the backyard holding two finished glasses of lemonade and glaring disdainfully at my mate.

"Remind me why you had to 'help' your omega in the bathroom earlier? You two were in there awfully long while I was waiting to take a shit," Daemon shoots back smugly.

I can barely hold my laughter, slapping his chest lightly. "Daemy!" I scold him.

Tristan tsks, rolling his eyes and going off to put the glasses in the kitchen. I look outside to where Wren sits on the patio, giving him a smile with which he returns with a small wave. Lylah and Yvonne lay out on the grass side by side, wearing matching shades as they soak in the sun.

It's summer. It's so peaceful. Everything is perfect. Sure, my dad suddenly popped up out of the woods and changed my perception of everything I thought I knew about my childhood—but, other than that I'd say things are pretty good right now.

"Daemon.! Tristan.!" Lucien's voice booms from the kitchen, filled with alarm.

Immediately my mate tenses, quickly picking me up and gently setting me down on the couch before leaping to attention.

"What is it?" Tristan asks.

"I just got a call. It's the dark moon scouts. One of them is gone—and Theo is too. Their cells were empty when a guard checked this morning,"

"Who let this happen?" Daemon growls, fists clenching at his sides.

"Apparently Theo bribed someone on the night shift, saying that if he gave him the master key he'd make him his second in command when he became Pack Alpha again. Poor fool believed it, and was found this morning hiding in a closet with a broken nose. He confessed everything,"

Daemon is silent for a moment, before cursing under his breath. He runs his hands through his hair, looking extremely frustrated. What does this mean for the pack? For Daemon and I? What were Theo's intentions with escaping with the imprisoned scout. They must have gone back to Dark Moon... but why?

"We need to head down there. We don't know what this could lead to. If Theo's involved, a surprise attack is likely. And what's worse is he knows all the ins and outs of our pack. Dark Moon having that advantage on their side isn't good for us," Tristan states, and both Daemon and Lucien assent.

Fear curls in my belly, icy cold. I knew something would come along to ruin this perfect day.

"Is there any way I can help you all?" Leon, or, my dad asks timidly. I realize everyone has gathered in the kitchen by now, no more leisurely relaxation to be had in the face of this news.

Daemon surveys him for a moment, before nodding. "Come down with Tristan and my father. If you have any intel about Dark Moon to share with us, that would be helpful," then he turns to Lylah's mate. "Yvonne, can you look after our mates while we're gone? Just in case?"