The Hitcident

March 2020
Spring Break

Saturday, March 21

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" Historia asked, shoving the last suitcase in her car. "There's more than enough room you know. You can just Venmo me the 750 for the week."

You cringed at the price, holding in a scoff. You didn't have the money for that, what college student has that lying around? You know, besides the one's that are funded by the parental's pockets. "No it's fine." You gave her the fakest smile you could muster. "I'm not alone here anyways." You nodded your head back up at the dorm building.

"I know... it's just, I really want you to come." She sheepishly looked up at you, her hand scratching the back of her blonde hair. "It sucks that you can't."

To make her feel ever so slightly better, you lied. "Next year I promise I will."

You didn't want to admit that you couldn't afford to go, so back when they all began to plan you gave the excuse of having a lot of work to catch up on as you were a transfer student. Which was not a total lie, you had a few assignments you needed to do over the break. But being a transfer student had nothing to do with that, procrastination did.

It was better to make up an excuse than to tell them the truth. At this point in time you had only known these people for a few months, and yes they were your friends, and yes, you loved them - however bringing up your financial situation wasn't something you were comfortable with doing just yet. They all seemingly had money, and you refused to let them pity you in any way. 

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" She asked, now closing her trunk.

"Yes. I'll have both Hitch and Eren here so I won't get too lonely." You leaned your body up against the back of her car. 

You, Eren and Hitch all had stayed behind for Spring Break. Hitch had another friend group she was in and was worried it would cause problems if she went with your group, so she said fuck it and stayed behind. Eren had stayed behind for a co-op internship program he managed to get into. He had to wake up at the asscrack of the dawn the weekdays coming up, and go uptown to observe some stuff in a lab. He mentioned his dad helped him land it, and that the program would help him get into med school in the future. 

"Well, I hope you can all try and have some fun. Anyways-" Historia clasped her hands together, rubbing them up and down. "I am off to pick up Ymir and head out, text me if you need anything- call if there's any sort of emergency."

"You don't even live with us." Her concern was amusing, it putting a smile on your face and a warm feeling in your chest.

"I know, I just worry about leaving you behind." She sighed. "I gotta get going though, uh-"

"Text me when you all get there safe." You requested.

She smiled, happy at your concern for everyone's safety- happy that somehow they ended up with you. And within that happiness that Historia had, and overwhelming amount of anxiety about leaving you here for a whole week. Especially with Hitch. Oh did that girl rub her the wrong way.

But like you said: you would be fine. She tried to trust in that. 

She gave you a squeeze goodby and when she finally released you she got in her car and drove away. You waved her off. Once she was out of the parking lot, you headed back up to the quiet room. 

You exhaled loudly, taking in the silence. The room had never felt more empty. You blamed it on the lack of Sasha . Quite insane how much noise one person can make, with or without trying.