029

•C h a p t e r   t w e n t y - n i n e•

C h a p t e r   t w e n t y - n i n e•

-Y o u   c a n ' t   d i e-

☾ ☾ ☾ ☾

♪ How could you be so far away
When you're still here?
When I need you, you're not hard to find
You're still here
I can see you in my baby's eyes, and I laugh and cry
You're still here ♪

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

I'm sitting in Stiles' Jeep while we drive away. I tried to talk to him somehow, but he didn't answer, so I simply decided to go with him.

"Stiles, do you want to talk about it?" I look at the spanner that lies beneath my feet.

"It was self-defense, okay? He- He tried to kill me, Valeria, and I-I'm not a werewolf to defend myself. I got up on the scaffold and some pipe fell and stabbed Donovan. I didn't mean to kill him, really- you don't believe me either, do you?" he asks, and I hear in his voice that he sounds very hurt.

I put my hand on his, which is on the gear lever. "I believe you. I don't think you're capable of coming to him and killing him. I don't understand why Scott thinks otherwise, but he'll understand," I squeeze his hand soothingly.

"Scott found out-" There's a bang in the engine, so he has to stop. "No," he exhales angrily, and suddenly the car fills with smoke.

We start coughing and we both step outside. Angry, Stiles opens the hood and takes the toolbox from the trunk of his car.

"You want to help?"

He doesn't answer and instead throws the whole toobox on the road in front of us. I get scared when it hits the ground.

I want to go to him to calm him down, but he avoids me and takes the spanner in his hands. He reaches out to throw it into the road, where his toolbox also lies.

"Stiles-" I pause as he turns and throws the spanner toward his Jeep. There's a shattering of glass as soon as it hits the front window.

Stiles sits on the ground with his back against the car door. His heart beat is very fast. A lot more than it should be.

"Are you feeling better?" I kneel before him. "You ruined your car again."

"I don't care about it," he glances at the ground. "If I told him, do you think he'd believe me?"