Chapter 56 |A dead end|

"Why is she here?" Theo points a finger in front of him at Hayden, who has just arrived at the police station where we all are

I don't like her being here either, but I'm not saying anything. I just stare at her with a completely blank expression.

"I came to help. And what are you doing here?" she snaps at the sight of him. "Are you trying to set us up again?"

"The last time you helped, you turned into a jealous bitch and I threatened to kill you," he scoffs, arching an eyebrow at her angry expression. "Is it really just me being the bad guy here?"

"At least I didn't kill anybody- "

"Stop it," Liam rolls his eyes because he clearly doesn't like hearing these two fight. "They've erased a lot of people. We need whatever help we can get. Even if it's people you don't like."

I exchange looks with Mason because Corey disappeared last night. I'm sorry because Corey was my best friend. I mean, I think he still is.

"Why do you trust him?" Hayden asks Liam incredulously. "I thought you hated him like the rest of us. We haven't forgotten all he's done. To us, his parents, or his own sister-"

I was quiet the whole time, but I can't miss the way Theo gets stuck at this. The grin didn't leave his face, but I can tell he's already faking it and trying to make it look like he doesn't give a damn. "Hey, if you have such a problem with him that you're the only one who has to complain, you figure it out and then come back."

"Valeria trusts him," Liam simply replies, and then gives me a small smile that won't reflect in his eyes. "And I believe her."

"But-"

"Deal with it or get the fuck out of here," I shrug, giving her a caustic smile.

I can feel everyone's eyes on me, but I'm not interested. I'm not going to let Hayden keep trying to cause an argument.

Hayden shuts up, but I don't miss how loudly she sighed. I don't give a damn because I know everyone hasn't stopped being my friends, but she did the moment she laid a hand on me.

Mason and Liam are arguing with Hayden while I went to sit in the sheriff's office. I rub my face because I don't know what to do.

"You didn't have to stand up for me," Theo says, and closes the door behind him, though if anyone listens, they'll hear it through the closed door.

"I know," I say, but I don't look at him. I'm still staring at my hands in my lap. "I must sacrifice my life to save all of you."

"What?" he asks earnestly, and quickly comes in front of me to look at him. "What are you talking about?"

"I thought about what Douglas said."

"He's crazy," Theo sits next to me and rests his head against the wall. "You mustn't listen to his drivel."