Chapter 75 |Bad move|

I reach into Liam's pocket to get his phone. I have no idea where I left mine, so this is probably the best way to call for backup.

The yellow lights start flashing when there's gunfire from somewhere. Liam and I twitch a little, and I notice there's no signal.

They've got police jammers.

I frown when I hear the bed creak behind us. I shove Liam just as the man starts shooting at him. I quickly move out of the way and meanwhile Liam grabs the hunter and punches him in the face, causing the gun to fall out of his hand. We immediately throw him out into the hallway where he slams his back against the wall.

We both walk over to him to make sure he's really unconscious, but I stop dead in my tracks when I notice movement to our left. I look over and notice two hunters, Gabe and Eric.

I place my hand protectively on Liam's chest, not wanting anything to happen to him. We take a few steps back until our backs almost hit the elevator door.

Gabe loads his gun and points it right at us. "Wait-- let me do it."

I press the elevator button while I just watch Gabe and Eric smile mockingly. "Ready to die?" Eric asks amusedly. "Go ahead, guys. Run. It'll be more fun that way."

Gabe's finger slides on the trigger, and thankfully, there's a ding of the elevator, so I shove Liam in immediately. He grabs my arm to fall in after him, only to hear gunfire.

I feel a sharp pain in my right thigh and I let go of Liam's hand.

"Valeria!" Liam yells my name and wants to get me into the elevator quickly somehow, or at least get out when I'm not there, but I push him back inside. "What the hell are you doing?"

"I love you," I whisper the moment the door closes enough that I can't even see his face.

"No!" he echoes one last time from the elevator before two hands grab me and flip me onto my back.

I cast a glance at Eric's face, where there's a small, morbid smile. He stares at me as he points the gun at my forehead.

"Son of a bitch," I mutter between my teeth, relieved when I hear the elevator start down. "Bad move, buddy. Bad move."

He presses the barrel of the gun to my forehead, and I don't take my eyes off him.

"Don't kill her!" comes a voice that makes my blood run cold. Damn it. How can this be possible? "This one's mine!"

I turn my head to the side and scowl at my sister. "Heh, you never take a day off, do you?"

"I kind of enjoy hunting monsters, sis," she says with a shrug, then looks at all the hunters around me and gestures for them to go away. "This is just between you and me. Everyone leave!"

I feel the wound on my thigh begin to heal. I want to get up, but Jane steps on my chest, pinning me to the ground. "No rush, Valeria. We're going to have some more fun together," she whispers with a smile, then pulls out a gun and shoots me in the arm.

I cry out in pain and tears well up in my eyes.

She grabs me by the hood of my sweatshirt and starts pulling me away from the elevator. She opens the door to the stairs and I look down at my hand, which is burning incredibly badly.

"Sorry, you know I wanted to kill you with something other than a bullet infused with wolfsbane, but it seemed like a pretty good solution since I don't have much time to torture you."

"What?" I ask, and then I'm kicked down the stairs, so I start to fall, breaking a few ribs in the process. "You bitch."

She runs down the stairs after me and laughs. "Wait until you find out how I plan to hasten your death."