042

•C h a p t e r   f o r t y - t w o•

C h a p t e r   f o r t y - t w o•

-S h r ö d i n g e r ' s C a t-

☾ ☾ ☾ ☾

♪ Riders on the storm
Riders on the storm
Into this house, we're born
Into this world, we're thrown
Like a dog without a bone
An actor out on loan
Riders on the storm ♪

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

I take a deep breath of fresh air after the storm in the evening. I look up at a dark sky full of stars and forget for a moment all the bad things that have happened to us in our lives.

Everything can be perfect.

Well, I hope it can be perfect.

It's been three months since Theo was dragged into a hole by his sister and we never saw him again. The nightmares of a body in a tank disappeared two months ago, and now everything is as it was.

I'm finally starting to think that Theo made up what happened to me and what The Dread Doctors did to me.

I blink and come back to reality when I hear Liam sigh. I lean against the car while he kneels on the ground, frowning. "What?" I smile a little.

"Nothin'," he says, shaking his head and getting up. He walks away from the car and stands with his back to me.

I roll my eyes and give him a slow hug from behind. I give him a kiss on the shoulder and he grabs my hands, which are on his stomach. "We should have taken my car. Like I said... Several times."

Liam turns and frowns at me. "It's a new car!" he gestures at the old truck.

"You bet," I mutter sarcastically as Liam walks to the trunk. "It was new to someone... About fifty years ago."

"Shut up," he rolls his eyes. "You know what, Val? Why don't you just go back to watching the sky and leave my little baby alone?" Liam gives a biting reply, but I'm sure he doesn't mean any harm.

I lean against the bonnet and wait for Liam to pull the jack out of the trunk, but as soon as he looks at me with his look of disamusement, I know he doesn't have it. "There's no jack."

I shrug and pull the car effortlessly up. "Grab the spare."

Liam raises his eyebrows. "We're lucky there aren't cameras in these woods. Otherwise, someone would think you're weird."