036

•C h a p t e r   t h i r t y - s i x•

C h a p t e r t h i r t y - s i x•

-H i t m e-

☾ ☾ ☾ ☾

♪ Don't stop believin'
Hold on to that feelin'
Streetlights, people ♪

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

Once the Beast hits the ground, all the cars behind shakes. Including the Jeep we're sitting in now. There are about three police cars in front of us with their sirens on. Blue-red lights illuminate the surrounding darkness.

The police radio Stiles has here fizzles, so I lean forward so I can understand it better.

"Unit 5 heading northwest on Crescent, reporting an incredibly large... something," comes the voice of Hayden's sister.

I exchange glances with Scott because we know what caused this 'something' and we have no idea what else it's going to do. The main thing is that we don't know how to stop it.

"Unit 9 to Dispatch, I think I've got eyes on the same thing. Some kind of rabid animal."

"Unit 5 to 9... Trust me, that's no animal," she pauses grimly, and I don't miss the fact that Stiles had to push the pedal to the floor or they would have slipped away.

"Unit 6 to Dispatch? We have a situation downtown. Multiple fatalities."

"Copy. Medics on the way. Do you have a perp in sight, Unit 6?" The Dispatch speaks.

I furrow my eyebrows uneasily because people are dying and others have no idea what lies ahead. Hell, I don't even know myself.

"Negative. Looks like a 10-91E. Animal attack."

"10-4. Can you say what kind of animal?"

Stiles looks in his rearview mirror and I can't help noticing that he has the same worried stare as I do. He turns Scott's head before grabbing the microphone attachment to his shelf radio and hitting the button. "All units stay back. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage."

"Do you really think anyone will listen to you?" I raise my eyebrow, because he means it well, but this isn't going to work.

"Maybe, but-"

"Stiles, get off the radio!" Sheriff Stilinski raises his voice, which sounds annoyed and frustrated. "All unit alert-- wait for backup. Repeat-- no one goes near this thing."