Chapter Nine

-YOUR POV-

Before the guys left, we’d all exchanged numbers, ‘so we could text and stuff when we were bored’ as Carlos put it. It was a few hours later. My dad and Taylor were both back home and we had just settled down for a late dinner when my dad made an unexpected announcement.

“So, girls, I know I had originally asked your mom for you guys to visit the entire summer,” He began.

Where was he going with this?? Was he going to send us home early?? I hoped so!! I could feel the smile waiting to be shown.

I could see Taylor was looking at him eagerly, as well.

“But after talking to your mother last night, we decided for you two to stay with me for the school year, too.”

My mouth dropped to the floor, while Taylor clapped with excitement. I didn’t really care about school considering I was technically in college, given that I was turning 20 in a week. I wanted to major in performing arts, which is why I’ve been focused on finding a good agent and places to audition the past year. New York City was a GREAT place for that, too! So after high school I sort of ditched the idea of college. David was kind of the same way, except he wanted to be an actor while I wanted to dance and sing.

“No way! That’s amazing! I’m gonna go call Hannah!” She exclaimed, leaving the table to go call her best friend.

I couldn’t move. I couldn’t even speak. What was I supposed to tell David?! I felt my eyes get glossy.

My dad just looked at me smiling. “You excited?” He asked.

I shook my head and stood up, leaving my untouched plate of food on the table. “No. No I’m not ‘excited,’ dad!” I yelled. “I have a BOYFRIEND back in New York!”

I could tell that that one shocked him. Didn’t my mom tell him?!

“Oh…I’m sorry, I didn’t know.” He said, standing up to walk over to me.

I immediately stood up and threw myself back against the wall, trying to get as much space in between us as possible.

“(YN), what has gotten into you?” He asked me, stopping in his tracks, realizing I was trying to stay away from him.

Me? What’s gotten into ME?! He’s the one who freaking beat my mother! What did he THINK I was going to do!

“Me?” I exclaimed. “What’s gotten into me?” I asked, but it came out more as a statement.

He just stared at me in anticipation, looking for an answer.

I crossed my arms, trying to hold back the anger that was kindling inside of me. “That’s a strange question coming from the man that abused my mom.”

“How do you even remember that, you were four!” He said.

Wow. Was that really ALL he had to say for himself?!

“Because when you see your mom covered in bruises and hear her SCREAMING every single night, you tend to keep that memory with you no matter how badly you want to get rid of it.” I let the acid of my voice burn him.

He looked away, I could tell he felt guilty. “They have therapy for stuff like that, you know. Getting rid of those memories.”

Now I was getting furious. Did he REALLY just tell me that I’M the one who needs therapy?!

“Don’t you dare tell me that I’m the one who needs therapy!” I screamed at him. I saw Taylor out of the corner of my eye poking her head out from the hallway, but I refused to look at her, keeping my dagger-eyes fixated on my father.

“(YN), I went to therapy and group sessions. I fixed myself.” He told me calmly.

“I don’t care. I will NEVER forgive you for what you did to me and my mom.”

“Why can’t you just move on!” He exclaimed, and I could tell by his voice that he was getting frustrated with me.

“MOVE ON?! I STILL HAVE NIGHTMARES FROM IT, AND IT HAPPENED ALMOST SIXTEEN YEARS AGO!” I couldn’t hold it in anymore. I was so enraged.

He didn’t say anything. More like he had nothing TO say.

After calming myself down a little bit, I asked him, “Why did you do it?”

“Because…She wanted to keep the baby.” He hesitated to answer.

I knew exactly what he was talking about. Taylor. At the time, she’d been a mistake.

“So you thought that by hurting HER…”

“I’d kill the baby.” He finished my sentence, staring at his feet in shame.

I put my hands on my hips. “Well do you regret it?”

He looked up at me with sincerity burning in his eyes. “With all of my heart. I love Taylor so much, I don’t care if she wasn’t planned. I wasn’t mentally stable back then. I wasn’t fit to be a dad. But I am now, I got better.”

“You didn’t want me?” Taylor asked, tears streaming down her face as she walked into the kitchen.

I’d completely forgotten that she was listening.

“No, I mean at the time, but things have changed!” My dad tried to explain himself.

Taylor just shook her head as the tears kept coming.

I couldn’t take this. I grabbed my wallet and phone off the table and walked towards the door.

“Where are you going?!” My dad demanded.

“Anywhere but here!” I yelled, then left, slamming the door behind me.