Chapter Ten

-YOUR POV-

“Anywhere but here!” I yelled, then left, slamming the door behind me.

How could things have gotten so bad so fast?! I’ve been here, what, three days and already I wanted to just fall off the face of the planet?! I’m not gonna lie… I felt pretty bad leaving Taylor there all alone. But if she needed me she could call me. This was something she and our dad needed to work out on their own.

I didn’t bother stopping the tears that were streaming out of my eyes. I wasn’t even sad, really, except for not seeing David for another year. I was just so frustrated and overwhelmed.

What surprised me was that I didn’t text David immediately. I haven’t talked to him as much as I usually did today, either. He didn’t call me last night or text me this morning… as if on cue, my phone began to ring and I looked down at the caller ID to see it was David. I breathed a sigh of relief. Finally, something good to brighten up my mood.

“Hey!” I answered, trying to make my voice sound as if I hadn’t been crying the past ten minutes.

“Hey, (YN), we need to talk.” He said, serious.

I was taken aback. My eyebrows furrowed as I listened intently. “Um, sure, what’s up?”

“I, um… well first, how long are you in Cali for?”

“My dad just told me it’s extended until a year from now..” I said, the tears coming back.

“Good.” I heard David say quietly on the other end of the phone. He thought I couldn’t hear him.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing, um, I… (YN) these past few months with you have been great, but-“

“Don’t say it.” I cut him off, trying my best to still sound tough, and ignore the waterfall behind my eyes. “Please don’t say it.”

I could tell this just got a lot harder for him. “It’s over.” He said quietly.

I just shook my head. “Alright.” I responded. “We can still be friends, right?”

“Of course!” He said, cheerfully.

“Okay then..I’ll talk to you later, sometime?” I asked him.

“Yeah! Look, I, uh, got to go. Bye, (YN).”

“Bye.” I said, then waited until he ended the call.

I stood there, wherever I was given I’d been walking around aimlessly in the dark for the past fifteen minutes, and waited for everything to sink in.

I’m with my dad for the next year.

Taylor knows the truth.

My boyfriend just broke up with me.

I started to run. I didn’t know where I was going or why, but I just ran and ran as far as my feet would take me. It was as if I felt that I was running away from the present time and back into the past where everything was just perfect.

It felt like a year had gone by when I finally couldn’t run anymore. I just stopped and leaned against a tree, slowly sliding down the trunk until I was sitting on the dirt, knees pulled against my chest, crying into my arms.

To top thinks off, it even started raining. Seriously?! COME. ON. We’re in California for crying out loud it only rains like one inch a year!

This was just not my day.