Chapter Eleven

-YOUR POV-

To top thinks off, it even started raining. Seriously?! COME. ON. We’re in California for crying out loud it only rains like one inch a year!

This was just not my day.

 I sat there for what felt like forever before I checked the time on my phone. My dad didn’t have my number, thank God, so he couldn’t call me to tell me to come home. I’m almost 20, anyways, so he couldn’t MAKE me do anything. If he threatened me with the whole ‘if you’re staying under my roof you follow my rules’ thing, then I’d happily share a box with a homeless person.

I was in shock at the numbers illuminated on the screen. 10:30pm already?! Whatever. Honestly, I didn’t really care what time I got home by. Or how to get home… where was I?! I looked around and found myself in the middle of some neighborhood that was hopefully still in LA. I got up and continued my walk, through the rain this time. It wasn’t POURING, but it was definitely raining at a steady pace, which I knew was odd for this state. Mother Nature was probably sitting up in the clouds and laughing at me, thinking ‘I wonder what else we can do to mess up (YN)’s day. A tornado, maybe?’

As I walked I just thought about everything, trying my best to clear my clustered head. Every now and then a memory would come to mind, only to tug at my heart and bring on another round of tears. Eventually, it came to the point where I couldn’t even stand. So I just sat there. In the middle of the sidewalk, barely missing the pool of light on the ground given off by the streetlight.

All of a sudden, I heard a set of footsteps approaching me. I checked my phone. It was just past midnight…who would be out at this hour?! Definitely NOT somebody I wanted to run into. I kept my phone in my hands as I stood up cautiously. The worst part was I didn’t even know how to get home…so I just walked. I didn’t know where I was going, but I wanted to get away from whomever that was.

The scary thing was…they seemed to follow me. Making the same turns as me, cutting through the same yards and everything. Whoever they were obviously knew their way around this town better than I did.

That was it. I stopped walking and turned around, the tears still pouring down my face from everything that had happened, and fear adding onto it. If it was someone trying to harm me, there was no way I’d get away from them anyways, so I might as well get it over with. I sat down against a tree in the darkness, as their footsteps approached me, hoping they’d walk right past me and down the street to their destination.

Pit-pat

Pit-pat

Pit-pat

The sound of wet sneakers filled my ears getting closer and closer. I could hear my heart pounding in my chest as I choked back sobs.

Pit-pat

Pit-pat

Pit-pat

They were almost here. Now was my last chance to get up and run for it. I knew they saw me. I felt their eyes on me.

Pit-pat

Pit-pat

Pit-pat

A little voice in the back of my mind was telling me to run.

Pit-pat

Pit-pat

Pit-pat

I looked down at the pair of shoes stopped on the sidewalk right in front of me. My eyes widened in fear. I didn’t DARE look up at their face.

I decided that I should listen to that voice telling me to get the heck out of there.

But it as too late.

I watched as the pair of shoes approached me.