Chapter Twenty-One

Chica quickly walked out of Monty's room and found a place to sit. "I can't believe them..." she muttered softly to herself. 
She glanced at a cleaning robot nearby and sighed. "So much has changed..."
"Chica?" 
A sudden voice from behind caught her off guard. Chica quickly stood up and turned towards the voice. 

There stood a certain familiar bear.

"Freddy?" 
Freddy gave her a small nod. Chica exhaled slowly and sat back down, gesturing for him to sit by her. He hesitated at first but eventually gave in and took a seat next to her. They sat in silence for a moment. 

"Are you really doing this out of your own free will?" Chica asked, glancing at him. 
Freddy sighed. "It's... complicated."
"Everyone thinks you're evil."
Freddy's ears twitched. "I don't blame them. What about you, though?"
Chica smiled sadly and shook her head. "I'm willing to give you a second chance."

Freddy looked away. "I don't deserve it."
Chica raised an eyebrow. "Everyone deserves a second chance, even you."
Freddy adjusted his bowtie awkwardly. Then he sighed and looked at her. "I'll tell you everything."
Chica blinked sympathetically. "Alright. "I'm listening." 

Freddy nodded and began. "It all started with Vanessa. One day, I was wandering around. Y'know, exploring. The pizzaplex had just closed. And it was all fine at first! But then I stumbled across a small trail of blood. I followed it, assuming that someone just had... an accident. But the trail grew and grew until I finally found the source. In the bathroom lay a lifeless child. Then I saw Vanessa standing over the kid. But... she wasn't like how we know her. She was... in a costume. The name "Vanny" was written in blood on the walls. I tried to run, but she caught me in a flash."

Chica's eyes were wide. "Did she... hurt you...?"
Freddy glanced at her and shook his head. "No, but she threatened to hurt you guys if I told anyone. Then she ordered me to help her clean up the... the mess. Once she saw how efficient I was, she made me work for her. Everything I've done up until now was to protect you."

Chica looked at the floor for a moment before giving Freddy a small smile and gently placing her hand on his shoulder. "I'm glad you told me. I knew you wouldn't do this out of your free will."
Freddy glanced behind her and a glint of guilt and regret shone in his eyes. Chica tilted her head, puzzled. 

"What are you looking at?" She asked, turning to see behind her.
Freddy held his tongue and just watched as his plan unfolded. There stood a rabbit lady. She waved at Chica. But before Chica could run away, the rabbit knocked her out.

Chica's sight darkened and she fell to the ground, unconscious.