Chapter Fifty-Seven

Moon stared in horror as he saw Monty and Bonnie go flying. He rushed over to them. "BONNIE! MONTY!"
When he found them, their parts were scattered and burned badly. "This... This is all my fault," Moon's eyes widened.
He felt as if his sanity was slipping from his grasp. "The- the others. Everyone. I- I did this. I couldn't save them. I- I couldn't-"

From afar, Gregory watched as Moon tried as hard as he could to put their parts back. Gregory's heart felt like it was breaking into a million pieces, even though he didn't have one. When he couldn't watch anymore, he went over to Moon and hugged him.

"It's no use..." Gregory's eyes were still wet with tears. 
Moon didn't hug him back. "We- we were supposed to have a happy ending. Isn't that how it always goes in those- those Disney movies?"
Gregory suddenly felt like their roles were reversed. "Moon, this is real life. There are happy endings, but not always... We can't prevent bad things from happening."

"Yes, we can! At least, I could've! But I didn't listen to you! I- I didn't-"
"Moon," Gregory grabbed his hand. "You have to calm down. Take deep breaths. It'll be okay..."
Moon looked into Gregory's heartbroken eyes. Even though his tone was calm and reassuring, nothing could hide the pain he was feeling. 

Moon suddenly hugged Gregory back. "I'm sorry. I'm so, so-"
"No. I won't allow you to apologize," Gregory embraced the hug before letting go. 
Something clicked in Moon's eyes. "Oh no."
"What?" Gregory wondered if anything else could be worse.

Moon opened his mouth to speak, but the sun rising over the parking lot forced him to slowly turn back into Sun.
Gregory was expecting Sun to say something comforting. But when he changed to Sun completely, he stayed silent. 

"Are you okay?" Gregory asked. 
Sun lowered his gaze to the ground. "They're all gone. And now, Moon and I will be too."
"What?" Gregory's voice cracked. 

Sun hesitantly looked at him. "Remember how I told you about my charging being complicated?"
Gregory nodded. Sun took a deep breath. "Well... it's more than that. I don't charge."
"Isn't that a good thing?" Gregory asked. 

Pain lit up in Sun's eyes as he shook his head. "When my system becomes damaged... I shut down... forever. It was a safety thing since I worked in the daycare with children. They didn't want me to accidentally hurt any of them. They installed that when Moon accidentally injured  kid..."

Gregory couldn't believe anything Sun was saying. His mind was racing. "You're going to leave? I-I'm going to be alone. Please, don't leave me, Sun, Moon. I-I need you."
Sun smiled. "Gregory, I love you. You've been the greatest friend in the entire world. To the point where I and Moon think of you as our son. I-I know it's silly. And... I'm sorry we have to go."

Gregory threw himself into Sun for another hug. "No, no, no, no I need you guys here! I don't know how I could go on. Please, this has been the happiest I've ever been."
"We agree," Sun wrapped his arms tightly around Gregory. "We met our best self when we were with you. We do not wish to leave you... But we have no other choice."

Pain filled up Gregory's throat, making it so he couldn't say a word. And so, in their last moments, they were hugging in silence. Gregory felt himself shaking. Then, suddenly, Sun's grasp loosened. Oh, God, no. Not yet. Please. Not yet. 

Gregory opened his eyes hesitantly, only to see Sun laying motionless in front of him.