Chapter Thirty-Five

Moon glared at Freddy. But Freddy seemed unphased. He just blinked slowly, his yellow gaze fixed on Gregory. He took a step closer but Moon stood to his feet. "What do you want?"

Freddy remained calm. "I want to explain."
Moon searched his eyes, waiting for anything that would give himself away. "On why you put a button on me or why you're pretending to be our friend?"
Freddy furrowed his eyebrows. Only a slight glint of panic in his eyes gave it away. 

But Moon didn't confront him. Instead, he let the bear answer. So he did. "No. This is about Gregory."
"What about him?" Moon raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms challengingly. 
Freddy glanced at Gregory, who still sat on the floor. "I know why he was built, and how."

This made Gregory look up at them. "Why? And how?" 
Freddy looked at Moon, silently asking for permission. Moon growled quietly and stepped aside, but not far. Freddy kneeled down in front of him. "You were originally part of Vanessa's plan."

Gregory's eyes widened. "Why?"
"Well," Freddy went on. "You were going to be her spy. She built you to be as close as a human child as you could be. And it worked. She wanted you to blend in with the kids and lead them to her so she could... destroy them-- before using them to build... an army."

Gregory's mind was spinning as Freddy went on. "Everything was alright after Vanessa had finished building you. You responded correctly to everything she had ordered you to do. And so her project was complete. But after a while, someone messed with you, and you snapped into reality. You were free from her grasp. But you forgot everything that happened before."

He paused and his chest cavity opened. He reached inside and felt around before pulling a folded blue paper out and handing it to Gregory as he closed his chest cavity again. Gregory observed it. "What is this?"
"Your blueprint," Freddy replied calmly. 

Slowly, Gregory unfolded the paper and gasped. It really was his blueprint. There he was, written neatly on this big, blue piece of paper. Suddenly this was more than he could take. Gregory threw the paper to the side and raced away.

Freddy stood up and turned to follow him, but Moon stepped into his way and pushed him back. Moon narrowed his eyes at him before going to follow Gregory.