Chapter 39- Hope

Days, weeks, months, I couldn't tell how long I had been stuck in the claws of that monster.

Sometimes I'd stare into nothing and hope that it was time, time I died and leave this hell for good, but every time, every fucking time I was sure I was done, he'd show up.

That's when I knew for sure I was still alive and kicking, because just seeing his face caused my heart rate to rage in my chest.

He had given up on the continuous torture, physically, deeming that I had a good amount of scars to break that 'traitor', although the mental torture never ended.

He would leave for a relatively long amount of time, leaving me tied up and weak, almost giving me hope I could die in peace but then he'd be back, giving me food and water so I don't kick the bucket before the grand reveal.

How sweet of him.

I had tried to escape during the times he'd leave but the white hot pain that would hit me after a single movement had me writhing in pain for hours.

My skin felt tight, almost like a single shift and it would be pulled apart.

"It's make me wonder," he always talks, whether it was to me or just cause he loved to hear his own voice, "no one has even tried to find you, perhaps you aren't as cared about as I thought, or maybe they all think you died that day."

It was nothing new, I had given up a long time ago. His words were already things I've said to myself, many a times.

"Sometimes I think, I'll just leave you here to rot. I mean no one will know or care so why must I spend my time on you anymore."

"Do it then." My own voice felt like it scratched up my throat as I spoke the first words I'd said to him since I got here.

His eyes finally found mine with a unreadable stare.

"Look who finally spoke," he crouched down in front of me with a shit-eating grin, "took you long enough."

The skin on his face seemed to have been more brunt away then the last time I'd seen him.

"Oh come on, that's all you're going to say," his expression was that of an annoyed child, "you bore me to no ends, just makes me want to burn you again just to hear something but I feel you'd just kick the bucket if I do."

I had to bite back on almost full blown begging him to just kill me and finally letting me rest.

With a sigh, he stood up and left.

Left, just like he always did.

Hours passed and I just sat there staring into the nothingness.

Why couldn't my mind just completely give up already.

Why goes there have to be this stupid fucking whisper in my head telling me to fight to live on.

As though by some miracle, a hero would bust in here and sweep me away to safety.

The footsteps again.

He was back earlier then he'd normally be when he usually left.

The footsteps were quieter also, almost like they were trying not to be heard.

Did he get hurt? Is that why he's moving slow?

The door opened so slowly I thought it was just the fatigue messing with my brain.

That's when I saw it.

That tuff of blonde and fury of red to match.

I could have sworn my only eye left popped out of its socket.

"Haw-" chocking on my words at the volume I yelled, I felt tears sting at my eye.

Hawks rushed over in a fury after seeing me, quickly examining my wounds with an expression I couldn't see through my tears.

"You-you're here," after not speaking for so long it felt so freeing to let my words fall from my lips with no thoughts, "you saved me, you care, you-."

"I'm here," hearing his voice was the final straw as I broke down, not caring about the pain of my skin tearing as I leaned into him, "you're covered in wounds but no blood."

"He-he made sure I wouldn't bleed." That bastard is done for, his plans are over.

I'd finally gotten my fire back and once I've recovered I'll make him pay wholeheartedly.

"Well that's no fair." Hawks was pouting as he held onto my shoulders to support me.

I looked up at his upset face, something was off, my eye went wide when I realized.

"Your wings! They're back!" I was sure Dabi had burned them off in their fight, but they looked just like how they always looked.

Hawks hummed not even looking back at his wings, his eyes fixed on my wounds.

"I mean," he smiled as he spoke, "just a little blood won't be so bad right?"

I stared up at him a little confused.

"I guess but he didn't want to give me any chance to fight back."

"That's fine, I'm sure it'll be fine," his smile was wide as he drew a knife from his side, "just a little blood, for me."

"That's enough now." I felt sick as Dabi's voice hit my ears.

I looked past Hawks' shoulder to see him leaning against the door frame, an annoyed but pleased expression on his face.

"Oh come on, she looks so beautiful with all the scars but she needs to just be a little more bloody!" The giddy in Hawks' voice was so unnatural.

"Just forget it," I watched it utter horror as Hawks' face melted in front of me, revealing a very pissy Toga, "but thanks, you finally got her to talk, yell even."

I couldn't control to wide blown shock plastered onto my face.

"Hell, this is the most I've seen her face express when I'm not torturing her." Dabi's proud smile was like a punch to the face of reality.

I wasn't saved.

Hawks didn't come rescue me.

No one will.

With Hawks' hands, Toga held my face to get a better look at my damage eye.

"So pretty!"

"Alright you maniac, that's enough, can't have you drawing any blood here so fuck off." Dabi nonchalantly said as he motioned her out.

"You're no fun." Toga dropped my head with a pout before skipping out to who knows where.

That was it, that little whisper was gone.

No sliver of hope remained.

Just me and the monsters, dancing into hell.