Chapter 7- somber thoughts

Now when I said the real training was finally going to start, this is not what I was picturing.

Hawks and I sat on the roof of some tall ass building with our legs hanging off the side, eating some chicken he bought.

The moon shone brightly above us as Hawks continued talking about literally nothing and everything at once, I didn't mind, I was kind of glad it wasn't awkward between us or this training thing would have been difficult.

"-wings are pretty impressive, I would never have thought you could do such a thing with your quirk type."

"I actually didn't think of it either until I saw you and just thought, man, I want wings and got to work." I half-assed my response leaving out the many nights I spent desperately trying to perfect it before coming here.

"I love it! Now we are practically birds of a feather!" He laughed plopping a piece of chicken into his mouth.

"Yeah, hey? If you don't mind me asking, sorry it's just been on my mind since I read it, but what the articles say about you, how much of it is true?" With those reflective glasses on I couldn't really make out the expression on his face.

"You mean how I'm the happy-go-lucky, dumbass who acts before he thinks because he's too fast?" He said that phrase as though it had been imprinted into his head, "well that's what people see me as, so it must be true."

"Wrong," my statement caused his head to slightly turn towards me so I continued, "you know they say Easerhead is a heartless person who keeps to himself, while he does like his lone time, he is a very caring person. So you're wrong, just because others say what you are doesn't mean that's the real you."

"You know for the trainee, you are sure doing a lot more teaching."  Hawks said pulling his jacket further up, covering his mouth.

"You know the reason I actually chose your agency wasn't just cause of your wings, although I can't lie that's what drew me in at first," he laughed a bit, ruffling his feathers at my words, "but it was after watching all the videos and reading all the articles of you, I wanted to see for myself."

His wings folded further together as though trying to hide.

"And from what I've seen from only a couple of hours is that the media is just a bunch of bullshit, am I wrong?" I asked.

Hawks' eyes glanced to the side towards me as though not believing my words.

"Damn, birdie. You are the first person who just straight up read my shit and still asked for my opinion." He tilted his head up towards the sky with a sigh.

"Well I do love getting both sides of the story before judging, mama bird." I lay my back on the roof looking up at the stars littered in the sky.

"Mama bird, I like it." He let out a big sigh and I watched as his shoulders visibly relaxed, as though they had finally let go of a huge weight.

A peaceful silence lay over us as we both gazed out into the night sky.

And that's how my training with Hawks went, during the day we'd work on my flying and air born defense and offense, then at night we'd sit on rooftops eating and talking about nothing and everything.

Hell I even got my own pair of visors from him, to block out the wind when I'm flying.

It felt natural, there was nothing forced. I could truly say that I looked up to him as both a mentor and a friend, or mama bird as he absolutely insists on.