Harbinger of Death

In a jail prison 6 years ago. A younger Dai was standing in the middle of a hallway with a sword in his hand and a bunch of dead bodies on the ground.

Younger Dai:I did it... I pulled off the Soul Cleansing technique. Now I'm certain to become the next head.

In present time CJ looks down a barrel and sees Morana.

Morana:Um sir I think I'm supposed to be dead right now.

CJ:Don't call me sir you're 20 and it makes me sound old.

Morana:What is this place?
CJ:This is currently a ship filled with a bunch of dead bodies. It's heading straight towards a burial sight.

Morana:But that doesn't explain why I'm here.

CJ:Your brother wants you to get far away from the police so he wants us to make sure you can get to the burial site so you can run away and live a nice peaceful life along with all that other bs. So once the government finds out you're dead they'll back off of you.

Morana:Why? I don't deserve to live. I've caused so many deaths. My sword can no longer cut anything, for I've lost my humanity.

CJ:Causing only one death doesn't mean anything. Do you not know how many other lives there are in this world? One death doesn't change anything unless they're a politic, but those people are all di*kheads in the first place so I don't care about them. Letting such trivial things get to you is stupid. You are a Shinigami... Harbinger of death, you shouldn't be letting one death get to you. Life is only but a trial filled with traps. It's how you get past those traps and let them not get to you is how you'll survive. Besides "when people sin and degenerate and become demons, the only beings capable of turning them human again at the end are neither demons that take human heads nor Reapers that take their souls, but humans who sever their sins to save their souls."

Morana hears what the boy is saying and thinks about how her father said the exact same thing.

CJ:Isn't that right?

Morana:My father said those same words. How do you know-

CJ:My dad knew your father. I'd say...

17 years ago. Inside of a prison. An old man wearing a brown kimono sits down in front of the jail cell.

Miles:What do you want? I'm trying to sleep.

???:I know you're innocent. You have the heart of someone nice, it'll be a waste for you to die here.

Miles:I'm a terrorist to the Realms. I deserve to die.

???:Where are your friends at? Don't you think they'd be worried about you?

Miles:They'd be fine without me. Life sure is hard. *Sigh*

???:*Chuckle*Life is only but a trail filled with traps. It's how you get past those traps and let them not get to you is how you'll survive.

Miles:That's a lame quote. Just hearing that made me wanna get my execution day tomorrow.

???:You're a funny one.

Miles:I don't see how me wanting my execution to hurry up is funny, but I'll take the compliment I guess. The final good words I'll get.

The old man stands up.

???:I'm getting you out of here. You're a good man, and should spend your time with the people you love.

He starts walking off. Miles smiles. Back in the present.

CJ:I'd say they were pretty good friends.

Morana:I never knew that. That's really interesting. "No matter how many fiends you behead, you must never lose the humanity that is needed to save others." That was what the former head executioner, Soma Nakamura, taught me. The Soul Cleansing technique we use for our executions is nothing but a reflection of that mentality. We keep the head from falling to the ground and getting soiled and rotted by the dirt by taking their life and giving their soul a respectful send-off. Ever since I got adopted by my father, the teachings essential for an executioner have been driven into my head, and many criminals were punished by my sword. But on that day, when I was met with the impossible trap to kill him, I suddenly didn't understand anymore. Not what "sin" is, nor what it truly means to judge others. Because, in my eyes, that criminal was the law itself. I could never kill him unless I forgot everything and turned into a demon. He meant the world to me, and yet I couldn't even give him a peaceful death as a human. I wasn't trying to take my own life to help the family or anything. It was because I knew I was a demon that had to be punished. Please tell me CJ. Was my father really a criminal whose sins were so grave that he had to be punished by death? Was he really a demon?