Part 6 - Ditched

I'm getting ready for a date with Tony. He actually called me again two days after the classroom visit to meet again but had to cancel because of an Iron Man emergency. But, fortunately, he made up for that by making plans with me again tonight. Everything's so great lately with him. He's committed to spending more time together, just like he said.

"Is my eyeliner okay?" I step out of the bathroom to ask Sophie.

"It's perfect. The whole look" she compliments me.

"Thank you" I smile and check myself out in a mirror.

I'm so thrilled for tonight. I had the most relaxing shower earlier, took my time to shave and take care of myself. It's all going just as planned.

Until suddenly my phone buzzes.

"It's probably Tony. He must be ready to pick me up" I say happily and unlock my phone to check the message he sent me.

"Something came up. I won't make it tonight, I'm sorry"

I'm left with my mouth open, jaw almost dropped to the floor. The confusion and disappointment on my face must be clear as day.

"What happened? Why are you like that?" Sophie asks concerned.

"He j-He just ditched me" I reply slowly.

I let out a breath that I've been holding in since I got the text and sit on my bed.

"What?? He broke up with you over a text?"

"We are not dating!" I yell and throw my phone across the room.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry" she apologizes and sits next to me.

I'm fighting the tears from dropping from my eyes but I can't hold them. It's the combination of anger and disappointment that's causing them.

"Come with me tonight. I'm going out with Hailey and Kelly" she suggests.

I know both of them but they're mainly Sophie's friends. If I wasn't so sad I would've said yes without a second thought. But I'm hurting too much right now to even think about going out.

"I can't, I'm not in the mood. Sorry" I say wiping my tears.

"Maybe he has another emergency, don't let it ruin your mood. I'm sure he'll make up for it again" she sounds logical.

"Maybe. Or he's using this to avoid me" I sigh.

"I'm sure he's not looking for criminals to fight just to avoid you" she rolls her eyes.

"You're probably right" I laugh.
"I don't think he canceled because of an emergency. He said something came up"

"Well, if it is an Iron Man emergency we're going to find out soon" she shrugs.

"Yeah..."

"So, are you coming with us tonight?" she asks again now that I'm feeling a little more cheerful.

"No, I'm good. I'll just stay here and study" I sound very sad, but that's how I feel so it doesn't matter.

"Whatever you want. You still have an hour to change your mind" she pats my shoulder and stands up to start getting ready herself.

I stay on my bed, staring at the ceiling for a while. It's not like I was ready to stay in and study at a Saturday night. My plans were so much better. After around 20 minutes I decide to start studying. It's going very slowly, I'm not motivated. I manage to concentrate for 15 minutes but I feel the need to take a break already.

And that's what I do. I take my phone in my hand to pass some time but what I see makes my blood boil. I stare at the screen for some seconds, not believing my eyes. It's really news from Tony, just like Sophie said, but not the Iron Man news we were hoping for.