Part 55 - Car Trouble

I've been living at my parents' house all week, helping with my dad's recovery. Tony stayed for two days but he had to leave. To be honest I don't think he felt comfortable living here once we were sure my dad is out of danger. I've been working from my laptop all these days since work doesn't get any easier.

After many hours of work I check up on my dad and when I make sure he's okay I get out for some coffee. Tony left me his car for as long as I'm here so that I have a ride whenever I decide to go back home. I drive around with it until I find the coffee shop I used to go to when I was living here.

"Zoe?" I hear a voice and turn to my side.

"Zoe Reeves?" I hear again and turn to my other side.

There I see them. The usual friend group from high school that I never liked. And of course they never liked me. College wasn't the only place where I wasn't one of the popular kids.

"Hey, Amy" I fake smile when I spot her first.

"Come join us!" they say.

"I don't think that's-" I start speaking.

"Nonsense, you should join us. We have so much to talk about" Veronica, another girl, adds.

Since when do we have things to talk about? They're going to get on my nerves, I can tell already.

"Alright, I can stay for a bit" I fake smile again and watch them as they make space for me.

"You look great, I haven't seen you in so long!"

"Not so true, we see you around magazines and news all the time" they giggle.

Ugh, they're trying to sound friendly. I'm going to need to throw up after this.

"I haven't been around much lately" I reply and take a sip from my coffee.

"Oh, we know! We've seen you with the man himself" they all giggle so I join them, clearly uncomfortable.

"Yes, we've been great" I smile shyly.

"Come on, don't be shy. Tell us everything about Iron Man" one of them shakes my shoulders to encourage me.

I take a deep breath and then exhale slowly. Of course they only care about Tony, I've always been boring and indifferent to them.

"He's very sweet, really. He shows affection and cares for me. He pays attention to the small stuff and surprises me a lot. He drinks a whole lot of coffee and works on his suits most of the time" I say.

"What about the sex?" the excitement in the voice is insane.

"It's amazing, always" I reply shyly.

"Are you guys exclusive or is he still sleeping around?" Amy asks biting her lip.

"We're definitely exclusive" I shake my head.

"How did you pull him off? I mean...he's Tony Stark and you're...just you" one of them says, trying to not judge me too hard but apparently failing.

"Is he like...your sugar daddy?" I hear another one of their annoying voices.

"No, we're together. It's pretty serious, really" I reply calmly.

"Doesn't he buy you stuff? And take you to places?"

"Yes, but I still have my own money that I use for my personal stuff" I explain.

"Didn't he give you that job? It's practically still his money" they question with a judgmental tone.

"The first one, yes. But I earned my way to where I am now" I say as confidently as I can even though I know deep down that it wouldn't happen if I wasn't with him.