Chapter 19

Y/n's pov.:

,,And this is Luka,, Voltiaere leads you in one of the last rooms on the floor you were on. His hand left yours so he can place both of them on the edge of the hospital bed. ,,Luka is an artist who is always so immersed in his work that he never notices the people in his room,, he says with a louder tone so the little boy lifts his head.

He let out a small gasp before putting his stuff aside ,,Voltiaere!,,.

He runs to the edge of the bed and Voltiaere engulfs him in a hug. It was sweet to see him so domestic. Luka seemed to have notice you and whispered something to Voltiaere. ,,That..,, he took Luka's arms of him so he can turn to you. ,,...is Y/n. He is a new friend of mine that has been having some painters block. I thought he could visit with me today and get some help from a professional,,.

That seem to get rid of all shyness. ,,You paint too?,, he asked. You nod not knowing how to react. He quickly went to get a notebook out of his bed side cupboard ,,What is your painting about?,,.

He opened the notebook and looked at you waiting to write something down. You let out a little chuckle and sit next to him ,,I have to express happiness,,.

He thought about it for a bit and then drew a black sun with a smile and rain clouds ,,Here. Happiness,,.

He hands you the piece of paper and you look at Voltiaere confused. ,,I think he needs a little more information Luka,, he said chuckling a bit.

,,Oh yeah, uhm......well I have a big problem with my heart. It keeps me here in this boring room. I was always sad at first and mommy was always crying, but Voltiaere told me that being happy will make me healthy. So even though I am sad and mommy is sometimes sad, I find things that make me happy and then she is also happy! Like....uhm....painting! Colours can mean bad, but a sun is always happy,, he smiles at you.

After actually deciphering what he actually meant you realised something ,,Wow, you are really smart for seven,,.

His smile doesn't fade as you continue to keep him company ,,Pup?,,.

You shake your heads from your thoughts and see Voltiaere hold out your ice cream for you ,,Thank you,,.

He sits down in front of you ,,Where did your thoughts wander off to?,,.

You take a bite from your ice cream. ,,Luka,, you tell him honestly. His eyebrows just raise waiting for you to continue ,,He's such a young child who should be out playing with his friends where his biggest worry should be which plush he cuddles with. Yet he is a wrong moment away from death and is able to lecture a college student about happiness,,.

He nods and thinks a bit before answering ,,Luka isn't the typical patient to get visitation from volunteers. I wouldn't have met him if it wasn't for me entering the wrong room,,.

You laugh a bit ,,You!? Getting something wrong? I highly doubt that,,.

He hums in disgust ,,I was a young lad and thought I was smarter than a sign,,. You laugh almost spitting your ice cream everywhere ,,I know it was not a typical way to spend your Freedom Day, but were you at least able to enjoy it?,,.

You nod ,,Thank you. I wouldn't want to have spent it any other way. Although.....maybe next time just drop me off somewhere where I don't have to wait countless hours for you to finish your boring office work,,.

One of his brows raises ,,Alright. Next time I'll leave you in day care, cheeky pup,,.

,,Hey! Puppies are very lovable,, you try to defend, but just realised you confirmed his pet name.

,,Mhm, they also need to be trained to behave. So, when shall we start? And which colour collar would you like,, you glare at him.

,,Put me in a collar and I'll bite you like a dog,, you threaten, but know he won't take it seriously.

,,Feisty pup,, he whispers before taking a sip of his hot chocolate. You are at least nice enough to wait for him to set it back down before you kick him. You sigh letting your mind thing again ,,What?,, he asked.

,,I really want to enjoy the moment, but....we have to head back at some point. I really don't want to,, you answer.

,,Brandon and William are there,, he suggested and you scrunch your nose. ,,You still have your project,, you whine at the even worse suggestion. ,,Keep in mind what Luka told you. Try to find the happiness even in places surrounded by sadness,,.

You sigh ,,Lord! Why are you always right!? It's annoying,,.

He chuckles at you pouting. The rest of the evening is spent just talking about nothing and stalling to head back. Eventually you two drove back just in time for curfew. ,,And were have the two of you been?,, the vicar asked just as you walked in.

,,At the office, like I said,, Voltiaere lied quite casually.

,,Mhm. Will I waste my time asking your father if you are telling the truth?,, you start to get a bit nervous.

,,Be my guest. Though, I am sure he won't be very happy about you disturbing him about a possible intern,, they seem to one up each other all the time. ,,Matter not you are his brother,, your eyes widen at the realisation that they are related.

You take a step back and let go of Voltiaere's sleeve that you didn't know you were even holding. ,,Fine, but the next time he calls me about you I will ask. Now head to bed. The both of you,, with that he left.

You both walked to the male dorms in silence. Voltiaere turned to you, but you couldn't look at him ,,I was hoping you wouldn't find out so soon, but I had to make a point so he wouldn't question further,,.

You happy to think he would have told you eventually ,,I'm guessing it makes sense not wanting others to know,,.

He sighs ,,You know I don't care for his beliefs,,. You nod still not looking at him ,,Oh pup,,. He pulls you in a hug which you gladly reciprocate ,,I'm sorry it put a sour mood on your day,, he whispered.

,,It's okay. Finding happiness even in sad things. Even though you're his nephew, you are still the only few people nice to me,, you feel the vibrations of his chuckle.

He pulls back and cups your face crouching down so you are both eye level ,,That is the spirit. Keep that as your mantra, ok?,,. You nod and blush at his slight smile ,,Good night pup. I hope you sleep well and dream about your happiness. Whatever that may be,,.

He give you a small squeeze before fully pulling back and leaving to his own dorm *You*.