49

my body turns around quickly. i see him leaning against the tree and i adjust my stance a little, no words leave my mouth.

"your tree is... unbelievable," he continues. "everyone knows it was you and they're actually out there looking for you, they're going into the areas we were restricted from."

i can't find any words to say, i'm just caught off guard. he looks at me, waiting for anything but i don't have anything to offer. the awkwardness becomes too much and all i could muster was a cough to clear the throat with an added nod.

his fingers intertwine with each other in what looks like a nervous manner. the last time i saw him, he was losing consciousness on the ground.

"i... i saw you before i passed out," he starts again. "it felt like a hallucination but when i heard you say my name... "

the sun has already set and the lights of the village are seen. his presence still made me nervous, i was choking. i looked at him, my old best friend.

why has this happened? why did the dominoes have to fall to land on this? why couldn't things be simpler?

i sighed a long sigh and looked to my tree, its shadow looming over us. for a fraction of a second, this interaction felt insignificant, so useless compared to everything else that was occupying me. maybe i was just exhausted from dealing with him.

my aspirations were put on hold, my dream career so close but now so fucking far and here in front of me was the cause. a boy from an unstable family, a strong quirk from the second top hero with an unstable personality.

"i am so sad for you... i feel very sorry for you," i sigh. my eyes didn't go to his, they stayed on the overview of the village. "i hope you seek the help you need."

that's all i could say, all i was thinking. i cared for the boy who was my best friend but the person he is now is a stranger to me. my mind musters up the courage to face him and his eyes are glued to the floor, hands still now.

a look of surprise and confusion are all i see in those eyes. i'm taken back by his sudden action, he starts to walk away and towards the direction of where the UA building resides.

mixed emotions stir in my stomach as i watch his figure get smaller and smaller and descend into the night forest. that moment of vulnerability in that day had a bigger impact that i thought it did. obviously i miss how it was before the camp but i miss someone who wasn't even real. he was just putting up a face.

i start heading home after ten more minutes of being there.

-

the lights were all off in the house except for the one in the living room, i mean it wasn't that late. the stairs creak as i go up one by one and i unlock the door.

i see dad sitting at the dinner table with three others.

"y/n!" the three figures run at me and i'm hugged.

"tsui! momo! uraraka!" i exclaim. "you guys... what are you doing here?! you can get in trouble!"

"we've missed you so much!" momo cries out.

"bro where the fuck is-" ashido comes out of the direction of the bathroom and stops. "y/n!"

the pink girl joins the group hug and i'm moved to full tears and sobs.

"i'm so sorry! i'm so sorry i didn't tell you guys," i cry out. "i was so scared to tell anyone! please forgive me!"

they all start crying and talking at the same time and my heart is light with joy.

"y/n we're so glad you're safe!" momo speaks out more amongst the sobbing girls. "we were worried sick! don't apologize, we're just glad to find you!"

ashido was gasping for air between sobs, trying to shove out a sentence but nothing came out except wails.

our puffy eyes dry up enough and we ascend to my room. i tell them everything with the help of uraraka, the training camp, the data on his phone, the night visits, the verbal threats and the altercations at school.

tsui confesses she was suspicious of something and apologized for not acting on it.

"please don't apologize, i was really scared for your guys' safety if you knew," i say. "i was lucky uraraka and them were okay."

ashido's soft heart sheds some more tears as i finish up my story but i stopped at the interaction at the tree, it somehow felt too personal right now.

"you said you wanted to come back to UA, what will happen?" momo asks, still padding the outer corner of her eyes.

"i'm not sure exactly, aizawa and all might said they'll try to vouch for me to the principal but that's about it on their end," i explain. "i'm really hoping something can be done because... i can't imagine doing anything else."

"what do you think should be done about todoroki? i mean that is the main issue, right?" tsui asks. i look away and think.

"right now, i couldn't care less about him," i admit and the surprise on their faces is noticeable. "i am pretty fed up with my dreams being messed with and my life being altered because of him... i know that won't pass with the school board but i'm just not concerned with that."