The Second Date

The moment the door closes, Keith is in crisis mode. He had not planned for this! He was going to finish school, work hard, be successful, and retire as a hermit in the woods. No 'Lances' involved.

But, he is kind of charming—in a 'you're an idiot' kind of way. And he does have a nice smile. He's handsome too of course. Keith sits on his bed and holds his stuffed hippo level to his face. "What do you think?"

The large plush eyes just stare back wide and expecting. "I know. I know. I promised myself I would live out a hermit life. But you saw him!"

It stares back in silence.

"Okay. I'm on board. But one red flag and I'm gone. Deal?" Keith shakes the stuffed animal's paw. "So what do I do now?"

Keith's phone dings and he makes a dive across his bed to grab it. He deflates seeing it's only a text from Shiro asking if he wants to join Adam and him for dinner next week. He sighs and flops back on the bed.

It's not until Keith is ready for bed and laying next to his new hippo that his phone dings. And this time, it isn't Shiro.

'My roommate just spent an hour trying to prove to me that lizard people exist.'

Keith laughed aloud and tapped at his screen quickly. 'And the verdict?'

'The verdict is that my roommate is crazy.'

Keith thought out another response, 'Or you're a lizard person and you're trying to throw us off your trail'

'Where's the evidence? You can't prove anything >:('

The conversation soared from there, texts going back and forth well late into the night. Until finally, 'would you like to go to the arcade with me this Friday?' Keith asks.

It wasn't entirely out of the blue, as they were talking about games, even then, Keith was spazzing at how quickly he produced the question. He didn't even stop to really contemplate it first.

'Absolutely'

Keith melted into his sheets in relief. And then an idea popped into his head. 'And no granny wheels, this time I drive.'

'If you say so, but Berniece will grow on you. It's bound to happen.'

Keith's head falls back on his pillow and he lets out laugh. 'If that's what helps you sleep. And speaking of sleep, it's getting kinda late.'

'Oh yeah, you should probably go to bed. Lizard people don't actually sleep so :p'

Keith barked out a laugh and shook his head. 'Right well have fun nesting or whatever lizard people do, goodnight Lance.'

Lance read over the text a few times. Goodnight Lance. It gave him butterflies. He closed his eyes and tried to picture Keith actually saying it in his low husky voice, like he is laying next to him. 'Goodnight Keithy'

"Pidge, this bet is too easy." Lance brags leaning back in his chair and putting his hands behind his head. "You got $100 ready?"

"Ha. Ha. Real funny. He dumped you, didn't he?" Pidge smirked.

"What? No! We're going out again tomorrow." Lance grins to himself.

Pidge blinks at Lance. No way he cracked the most stubborn single in Altea University. "Don't lie to me Lance! I'll fuck you up." She points at the taller boy angrily.

Lance smacks her finger away. "I'm not! Keith and I went out last night and we're going out on Friday."

Keith walks by their table with his tray of food and his earbuds in. He doesn't spare a glance in their direction as he passes and Lance hops up.