Musical Lions

I ran my fingers along the old tired wood inspecting the condition

I ran my fingers along the old tired wood inspecting the condition. They wandered to the strings running them up and down as I tested how tightly they were strung. I took in a slow deep breath flicking one string letting it vibrate as it's noise rung in my ears.

I reached up twisting the knob ever so slightly before repeating the action until it was perfect.

I felt a faint relief in my heart that I had finished the long slow practice of tuning the instrument. Now, I want to play.

Songs that I hadn't head in years all rushed to my head at once; all the sweet memories that each reminded me of. My mind was chaotic and I set down the guitar on my bed leaning back.

I couldn't play; not like this. I heard the muffled sound of footsteps come from the hallway and I stood up opening my door. Down the hall I saw Keith, he had walked past my room.

I leaned against the doorway and watched as he went out of view. I dragged myself back into the room sighing heavily. I came eye to eye with the guitar as I sat criss-cross on the floor. Time to sort out my thoughts.

"Lance! Dinners ready!" Hunk called outside.

Or not. "Okay! Be out in a minute!"

I lazily stood up and headed to the dining room. I sat in my usual seat and looked up at the others. Some gave me silent looks and smiles. They wanted to say something, that much was apparent.

Hunk walked out holding trays of food. "Who's hungry for pasta?" He said happily.

I smiled widely. "Hunk, you're amazing!"

We all dished ourselves up gratefully. I took a bite melting at the flavor and when I looked at the others they weren't eating and instead were staring at me.

"What?"

"Lance, you've been in your room a lot for the past few days... and well... we just want to know you're doing okay." Shiro looked concerned as did the others.

"I'm fine." I laughed a little as I spoke. The truth is a little different however. The first day, I wasn't in my room at all, in fact, I snuck out. I took a trip to the space-mall without anyone knowing and bought myself the guitar. It took me months to get the money saved up from our adventures. I suppose I could've told the others and they may have come along but... it felt personal. Playing the guitar almost feels... personal. It's a deep connection, me showing my true feelings, my raw person. It's me at my most vulnerable. The paladins are my family, but sometimes, you can't help but keep people away, even the close ones. The second day I spent fixing it up. It was roughed up and I had to replace a string along with fix a spot of wood that had split open. Today, I of course spent tuning it.

"Are you sure? Lance it's okay to talk to us." Allura added.

"I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" I responded normally.

"We know that you sometimes have some trouble being away from home and-" Shiro said warmly.

"-And I'm fine." I reassured again. "I'm just... busy."

"Busy with what?" Allura asked.

"Nothing!" I looked at all of them helplessly. This was starting to feel more like an interrogation rather than a helpful check up.

"Then what's wrong?" Shiro asked.

"Nothing! I'm just- I'm-!"

"-busy, with what?" Allura asked again.

"He doesn't have to tell us if he doesn't want to. If it's private then leave it." Keith snapped. I stared at him a slight shock but mostly relief.

The two looked to me for my thought on his outburst and I nodded.

It was quiet after that and I left early, cleaning my plate and heading to my room. I practiced certain cords and eventually I checked the time realizing it was late and everyone was definitely asleep by now.

I held my instrument tightly leaving my room. I want to play something, but I don't know what. I passed the training deck hearing light singing. It was quiet but evident and I felt myself drawn to it.

I quietly opened the door and I could hear it much better. I was shocked to see the source was Keith. I felt my heart squeeze in my chest as I heard him sing.

I lifted my guitar and softly began to stroke the strings to match the song. I'd heard this song a million times, but this was something new and more beautiful than I ever heard.

Keith immediately turned around startled but relaxed. He stared singing again and we both smiled lightly. I walked closer to him as I played. I poured my heart into every chord and his face softened with every word.

When he finished, there was a brief moment of silence between us, realization setting in. "You never told me you could sing."

"And you never told me you could play." He countered.

"Touché." I chuckled.

He stood for a moment before looking away and grabbing his things. "Where are you going?" I asked blocking his way.

"What do you mean? I'm going back to my room." He folded his arms.

"Really, you're that stubborn? Didn't are little duet mean anything?"

"Like what?" He suddenly seemed more interested and I shifted.

"Did you want to sing some more?" I asked ignoring the question all together.

He seemed to stare off for a moment deciding. "No."

"What? No? Keith! You have a beautiful voice! Why won't you sing?" I stood closer.

"Why were you determined to keep your playing from everyone?" He fired back.

"I... I played in front of you." I proposed.

"Yeah, well I sang in front of you, now we're even." He said starting to leave again.

"Hold on." I rushed in front of him again. "What... what if we do this more often? Just us?" I asked feeling my legs go weak at the question.

"What happened to rivals? I thought you wanted us to be enemies." He argued stubbornly.

"Well I don't!" I stomped. I realized he was slightly shocked at my outburst and I softened. "I just want to...-"

"To what?" Keith urged.

"Well damn, I don't know, I can't..." I spoke infuriated.

He contemplated for a moment before grabbing me by the arm and bringing me down the hallway.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"To your room." He spoke stolidly.

"Oh, okay." I croaked as my stomach did flip flops.

He pulled me into my bedroom and closed the door before looking up at me with his luscious violet irises. "What do you want?"

I stared at him in utter shock. I wanted to answer but I didn't know what he was truly referring to. "I..." I began but I slowly moved forward closing the gap pressing our lips together. He didn't pull away, and I didn't get punched which is what I was expecting. But instead he kissed back.

We parted and our eyes remained locked. "I mean what song but that works too." He said breathily smiling.

I smiled kissing him again.

We relaxed lounging around my room as I quietly played tunes and songs and he hummed and sang along. I smiled looking down seeing he'd fallen asleep on my shoulder.

I set my guitar aside and got comfortable. I ran my fingers along his arm gazing at the pale skin. My fingertips ran along it wandering to his hands tangling our fingers lightly.

(See what I did there. I ended it how I kinda started it, except it's Keith and not the guitar. Heh, no? Alrighty.)